Chapter Ten: Don't Give Up Hope

Relationships:

Alex- 0/10

Brad- 7/10

Conrad- 10/10

Fliss- 10/10

Julia- 3/10

Y/N's POV

I rush forward and grab Conrad's hand just in time.

I suck in breath through my gritted teeth, seething in pain from the fact that I caught him with the hand attached to my injured shoulder. 

Conrad looks up at me, gripping my hand tightly as he dangles from the tremendous height. Realization and recognition finally cross his face. "Y/N?"

Tears start falling from my eyes not only from the effort it's taking to keep holding onto him, but also from the overwhelming worry spreading through my body. "Yes! Yes, it's me! I can't... I can't hold onto you for much... longer." 

"Then let go," he says simply.

"NO! No, I'm not doing that."

He looks right into my eyes. "But if you keep holding me for much longer, you could come right down with me. Besides, I'm the one who caused this whole mess. You were right, I should have been more responsible. So I deserve this."

"You can't say stuff like that!" I object. "You don't deserve this. You're going to be alright. You can't give up! I need your help! Please! You can't give up!"

The tears fall faster and more frequently. I can feel Conrad slowly slipping out of my grasp. I try to grip on tighter.

"PLEASE!" I cry.

"Alright," he finally says. "Alright."

I sniffle as I try to stop crying. I know I need to focus. "I'm going to pull you on three and you try to grab the plank with your other hand."

Conrad nods.

"Alright. One... Two... Three..." I let out a whimper of pain as I pull Conrad up with all of my might.

Sweat is dripping down my face and mixing with the tears still on my cheeks. My injured shoulder feels like it's on fire.

But I'm able to pull Conrad up enough so that he can grab the plank with his other hand, making it so that he's able to help me pull him up. 

Once he's fully on the plank and we can let go of each other, we both have to take a moment to catch our breath. 

Conrad looks up at me once his breathing has returned to normal. "Y/N, what are you doing up here?"

"I chased you through parts of the boat until we both ended up here," I explain. "You were acting crazy! You didn't recognize me for the longest time."

"Wait, you were the sailor girl?"

I raise an eyebrow in confusion. "What?"

Conrad shakes his head. "Never mind." He stands up, offering me his hand.

I take his hand with the hand attached to my good shoulder, my injured shoulder still feeling like it's on fire. I let him help me up, the two of us getting away from the rotting plank.

Conrad can't stop looking down, his eyes wide. "I can't believe I almost fell down there."

"You scared the living hell out of me, you know that, right?" I ask.

"I'm sorry..."

I shake my head with a sad smile. "You don't have to be sorry. I was just so scared that you were going to get hurt again. I mean, with all of your injuries and everything, you could have fallen down that long ladder to get up here and then when you jumped... I... I felt like a piece of me snapped."