Chapter Seven: Not a Good Plan A

Relationships:

Alex- 1/10

Brad- 7/10

Conrad- 10/10

Fliss- 10/10

Julia- 3/10

Y/N's POV

We run down one of the ship's many narrow corridors, reaching a rusty door. We all go through it, Julia bringing up the rear.

She takes the lantern Alex is holding once she gets inside the door. "Are we safe now?"

"Shh. Stay quiet. We need to keep going," Alex informs us, reaching down and grabbing a piece of the decaying boat before wedging it into the handle of the door so we can't be followed. 

I notice Conrad looking around at some sailor girl posters in the hallway we're in. 

"Look at that," Conrad says. "I love what they've done with the place."

I glare up at him, nostrils flared angrily.

Conrad's eyes go wide as he realizes I'm here and just heard what he said. "Oh. Sorry, Y/N."

"Mhmm." I continue to glare at him. 

"Come on," Fliss beckons. "There's gotta be some stairs around here."

I walk closer to Fliss, staying right behind her as she starts to lead the pack down the hallway.  As we walk, I glance behind me to see that Conrad isn't behind us, likely exploring one of the rooms down the hallway.

But at this point, I'm too angry at him to check.

It's not long before I hear him behind the group once again. 

"I just want to know where they all went," I hear him say a ways behind me. 

"There should have been dozens of people on board!" Julia remarks. "Hundreds!"

"How could they all just vanish? And leave all their stuff behind?"

"Something doesn't add up," Julia agrees.

I just try to keep walking, the hair on my neck standing straight up.

"I just can't believe this is happening!" Julia exclaims.

I look behind me, noticing that Conrad and Julia are really behind the rest of us. Almost out of sight. 

Despite my still being angry, I turn around, walking to where Julia and Conrad are. 

"What happened to Brad?" I hear Conrad question, reminding me of my worry.

I just hope he's okay. 

"You think he's still on the Duke?" Julia suggests.

Conrad sighs sadly. "Your guess is as good as mine."

I finally get close enough for Conrad and Julia to notice me.

"Y/N!" Conrad's face brightens. "What brings you here?"

"I came so that you two wouldn't get left behind. Pick up the pace, would ya?" I answer rudely.

Conrad's smile fades. "Listen, Y/N, before... I was just..."

I hold up a hand to silence him. "Save it." I continue walking, hearing Conrad and Julia's footsteps right behind me. 

"What is this place?" Julia inquires.

"Engine room?" Alex suggests from a little ways ahead of us. 

"Well, is there anything we can use down here?"