Chapter 2

As nightfall grew darker, more home lanterns were lit, casting their blue crystalline glow to illuminate Astraea's path. Dwarven miners in Hilburg had discovered an abundance of the Whirlite crystals in their mines, and upon further inspection of the blue gemstones properties, they were found to keep fires burning longer and brighter. The discovery eventually spurred the creation of Whirlite lanterns, the now highly popular choice of street lighting. Astraea drew closer to the checkpoint in Cleaso, a half mile away from the castle, where she would meet with Kolas for any last minute rundowns. She spotted the orange saurian dressed in a Highland guard uniform. As she approached, Kolas gave her outfit a once over and snorted in dismay.

"Is something wrong with it..?" Ignoring her question, he began shuffling around in a satchel he carried. From it, he removed an elegant lace cape, a pair of ivory gloves, and roughly handed them to her.

"Here, take these. I'm glad I didn't trust you to find something more sophisticated to wear tonight. These'll at least help improve it a little

"I- I can't accept these! They look too expensive!"

"Just put them on!" He growled. "If the whole point of you attending is to impersonate Lady Earenadell, you need to at least dress the part!"

"Okay, okay!" Astraea gave in, slipping the gloves over her forearms and putting the frock around her shoulders, letting it cascade down to her ankles. "I mean, what are you, a fashion expert?" She laughed at her own comment. Kolas glared and she shut up immediately. "S- sorry..." The pair continued walking, sticking to the shadows and trying to remain inconspicuous.

"Although Sage and a few others will be posing as entertainment and servants tonight, you can't rely on them for any assistance. You can't draw any connections between yourselves. So once you're in there, you're all alone, no backing out." She nodded, trying to choke down the nervousness that began spreading through her. King Lucian's castle loomed ominously in the distance, growing closer with every step. "Remember to wait to make the grab until after Sage sets off the smoke bomb. It'll give you enough time and cover to smash the case, and exit through the South window. It has to be that window, or else you won't meet up in time with the rest of us to make the getaway." He instructed.

"Got it." She repeated the information over and over in her head, praying she wouldn't forget.

"This is where we separate, you'll have to go the rest of the way on your own," He stopped in his tracks, the sound of party guests rising in the distance. Panic flushed through her, making her palms sweat and shake in her satin gloves. "Good luck." He began to turn down a forking cobblestone street. Astraea desperately wanted to say something, but her mouth felt too dry. Her mind and heart beat racing.

"K- Kolas, wait!" He stopped and looked back at her, but she was at a loss for words. She didn't know how to find the comfort and confidence she so desperately sought. He walked forwards, placing his clawed, scaly hands onto her shoulders.

"I know..." And what he did next surprised her. He wrapped his arms around her and embraced her in a tender, fatherly hug. "I believe in you. You're stronger than you realise. Just remember, we'll see you once it's over. Antrhipes stick together." Kolas repeated the guild's code of arms. Her head tucked into his shoulder, she bit back the lump in her throat. Come on, Astraea! No crying here, you have work to do! She stayed in the hug for a moment longer before pulling away with a great sniffle.

"Thank you... Anthripes stick together." He nodded with a small grin, and once again turned away, leaving her alone in the glow of a whirlite street lantern.

***

The line to the entryway of the castle was a long one. Humans from all of Highland, Cleaso and even the neighboring territory of Preale were attending. Horse drawn carriages rolled down the street, dispensing humans dressed like royalty in rich reds, deep blues, emerald greens, and any other color you could imagine. Astraea finally understood Kolas' concerns with her attire... Live music and conversation filtered boisterously through the midnight air, while plain torches in iron sconces attached to the castle's exterior casted golden hues upon faces in the crowd. Eventually, Astraea made her way through the line and was next in the introductory fanfare. She observed the well dressed human lord in front of her, hand over his invitation from which the footman read, in which Astraea believed to be an extremely high pitched annoying voice,