Chapter 5

"You didn't attend your gala tonight." Halphus entered the monarch's rotundum sleeping chamber. He carefully observed King Lucian seated at a trunk near the foot of his bed with a furrowed brow, and gritted teeth, looking much older than he did in the face of the public eye.

"You told me what would happen. I didn't need to see it." The king muttered, shoving a stray strand of black hair behind his ear. The warlock took a few more steps towards a round table where he placed a hand on the shimmering Akrulite crystal he had used the day before, its color shifting ever so subtly with green, blue and purple hues.

"Hmm.. I suppose that's true..." Halphus muttered in agreeance. "But worry not, my king, it is all going according to our plan. That little half breed elf will soon bring you exactly what you're searching for. After all, no one dares refuse you, sire."

"Some have tried in the past," Lucian's gaze darkened. He stood up suddenly and proceeded swiftly to his bedroom window, as if trying to run from darkening memories. Then a cruel and satisfied grin spread across his lips. "I'll just have to force her hand, with an offer she can't refuse... I'm sure you remember our little oracle problem, Mr. Forelyn?"

"Ahh, I could never forget, your highness..." Halphus slowly removed his hand from the numinous crystal.

"Sometimes I swear I can still hear the echoing screams from the dungeon..." Lucian leaned his head back in delight as though he were recalling the sounds of a symphony. He slowly brought his head back up and turned to face the warlock attendant with squinted black eyes. "And you're sure... That the oracle will be important to her..?"

"Positive, your highness. And may I commend your thinking on ceasing Knox for the aligned lycan pack? I believe that is the same forest I saw in my vision, it seems it will also play a key role in our search."

"Oh, Halphus," King Lucian approached him slowly and deliberately. "I commend your undying loyalty to the throne, but heed my words carefully; The search is mine and mine alone..." He towered menacingly over the old warlock, and Halphus was forced to bow his head.

"Of course... Sire."

"Your highness!" A new voice cut in from the hallway. "The guards- They've returned!" King Lucian urgently shoved past him and bounded down the hall. Halphus turned to follow, then paused, staring back at the crystal on the table. He frowned, then pocketed it and left the room.

***

Darian paced back and forth across the foyer, his irritation mounting as he repeatedly muttered,

"Useless... Useless..!" We almost had her! But damn Sader lost her! He gritted his teeth and slammed a metal gloved fist against the interior stone castle wall. I swear I'll demote him... Darian cast a sideways glare at the measly first level guard, who immediately shrunk away in shame. Darian's attention was then drawn by the echoing footsteps from the eastern tower's stairs. From it, King Lucian descended with a furious aire. The guards immediately dropped to their knees, bowing as he came before them.

"Well?!" He demanded.

"Your highness!" Darian rose rapidly, his head still bowed, and helmet grasped firmly at his side. "I regret to report that my men were unable to find the primary culprit. But I swear to the throne, we will not rest, until she and the crown are delivered to you!"

"Pathetic." The king spat. Darian flinched ever so slightly at the venom in his voice. "I want a report of who you did manage to capture, and all intel you've gathered... Now!"

The rest of the guards sprang to their feet, arms raised in a salute. Idiots... Darian silently cursed to himself.

"Yes your majesty!" Darian turned to his second in command, Nabirius, who nodded and went to bring out the captives from the prisoner cart. He returned moments later, dragging the four chained together anthripes, bags over their heads, and tossed them to the ground. "We caught some of them trying to escape through our drainage systems." Darian explained. He approached the largest prisoner, and ripped the burlap sack off his head and tossed it to the ground.