Chapter 26

They walked in silence for quite some time before Rae had had enough of it.

"Who are you?!" She struggled out of Alastor's arms, and limped over to the newcomer who stopped to face her with an innocent smile.

"I told you, I'm Li-"

"No! I- I mean, why are you here? Where did you come from? How did you defeat the wyrm?!"

"Wow, somebody's curious," She chuckled. "And I didn't defeat it, I just intercepted its senses, see?" She blew gently on her pan flute again. "They respond to auditory vibrations- the higher the frequency... The more they don't like it." Lily tried to explain.

"So this entire time..." Alastor sighed with gritted teeth. "We could've scared that thing off with some music?! We thought we were gonna die!" She started laughing.

"Well that was just a baby! You weren't in any real danger! You probably just distrubed its home while it was napping and it got cranky. Believe me, you do not wanna run into an adult sandwyrm. Luckily they tend to wander further out towards the canyons." She stated nonchalantly. Alastor suddenly whipped to his right and punched the tunnel wall, sending sand raining down from his fist. Lily jumped in shock. "Woah! What's with the violence?" Rae limped to his side and placed a tender hand on his trembling shoulder.

"Hey..." She murmured, peering into his eyes. "We're okay." He tightly embraced her and whispered in her ear.

"I was scared I would lose you."

"Me too..." She hugged him back, leaning her face into his chest. "Al-" They were interrupted by a panicked squawking. Rae turned in surprise to see the frightened creature returning. "Oh, Syn!" She cooed, embracing the poor raven and stroking his feathers to calm him. He must've been so scared! I'm amazed he even followed us down here... He really is a loyal bird to go through all of this. "You poor thing, come rest." Moving the crown fragments aside, she opened her satchel to him and he gladly fluttered inside, curling into a feathery ball. As her hands brushed the metal crown, she could've sworn in jumped, pulling excitedly in the direction they were heading.

"Is your bird alright?" She asked empathetically. Rae nodded and began to walk again, but found it difficult. Alastor seemed to take notice and quickly offered his arm, wrapping it under her shoulder and resting at her side.

"Where are you taking us?" Rae asked as Lily continued to lead the way.

"Somewhere safe," She stated simply. "I know these tunnels like the back of my hand."

"So you actually live down here?" Alastor gazed around in wonder. "I thought most people couldn't live in the desert. How many others have been able to survive here?"

"Well most people can't, but I've found a way to cope. Every now and then I'll help strangers like you, but most never make it this far."

"So if you really live here... Have you ever heard of Edolas?" Rae pried, her curiosity peaking.

"Hah! What? No! That old myth? Haha... Nope..." She was obviously lying. As they walked Rae began to take note of the girl's appearance. She doesn't seem human... But she looks just like one! Then she noticed vibrant swirling green tattoos on the back of her ankles, stretching up to her calves and disappearing beneath the hem of her pants.

"Those are interesting tattoos," Rae remarked. "Are you an anthripe?" Lily stiffened and turned around trying to hide her panic with a smile.

"What brings you two to the desert anyways?" She changed the subject. "There aren't many travelers here lately, some say the land's cursed."