Chapter Fourteen: My Sister

I woke up.

Light peeked through my curtains. Birds chirped. I could smell the dew through the open window. A smile tugged at the corner of my lips. Today was going to be a good day. No school, just me, Sam, and the world.

I was lying on my stomach. My hair just felt like it was a mess. My pajama pants had slipped up and over my waist. I didn't care. I moaned into my pillow.

My silky pants slipped back down to my hips as I stood up. I smiled as I thought of Sam, downstairs. I walked out of my room, messy hair and all. I was in love with him, who cared what my hair looked like? I was pretty sure he wouldn't.

I pushed open his door quietly. He was still asleep. I walked in, and then I pulled his covers up just enough for me to slip under them too. I then did. I slipped under the covers. I was warmer under here than in my bed. I enjoyed being here. He wrapped his arms around me. I smiled and turned around and hugged him back.

One of the best things to do on a cold morning was cuddle. I loved cuddling.

What I didn't expect to see?

My sister's ghost.

I gasped. She wasn't supposed to see this, and I had not expected her to be here. I hadn't seen her in forever.

"What's wrong?" He questioned groggily.

I forced a smile. "Nothing's wrong, I'm going to go find something to eat for breakfast. Okay?"

He laughed. "Okay."

I jumped up and ran out of the room.

The carpet wasn't exactly soft or hard. But it hurt my feet as I ran into the kitchen. I grabbed the marble counter and breathed in and out. My body shook with sobs.

"Why are you here?" I asked her.

"I am here to say goodbye." she said, "But first I have a warning, do not fall in love with Sam." and then before I could say anything else she faded away.

I screamed loudly. Why was the world so against me.

I thought of her body for the first time. It was in a casket, rotting. Dead. My sister wasn't alive. I hadn't been seeing her ghost. I really was going insane.

***

Sam and I ate breakfast together at my little round table in the living room. I had made pancakes, or at least, I tried to make pancakes. They turned out horrible, although he refused to admit it. It tasted like raw eggs and batter all together. Disgusting.

He smiled when he saw me looking at him. I looked away quickly. Why was I even looking at him? Why was I staring at him?

I felt disturbed at my sister's appearance. Why had she come? I kept wondering about this as we ate our breakfast in silence.

"So," he said, "I was wondering if we could go on our first date?"

A smile lit up my face. "Of course! But where would we go?"

"It's a surprise." he said, smiling mischievously.

"But Sam!" I exclaimed.  "You know that I hate things being kept from me!"

"All the more reason to do it." He smirked.

"Ugh, I thought you loved me."  I said turning my back towards him.

He tackled me in a hug.  "You know I do, don't give me grief."

"Oh fine, but can't I pretty please know?"