Chapter 14

" Speaking of manners, " He turned to face . " aren't you supposed to offer me something. I'm a visitor ,you know."

" Don't tell Annie anything."

His brows creased in confusion
before realization dawned on him. " Oh ! Okay. No problem."

He didn't ask any questions. Thank God!

" I guess I'll get going then." He stood and made for the door.

" I'll walk you halfway."

It was dark outside. I didn't check the time before coming out , but I'm guessing it shouldn't be up to eight o'clock.

T. Stone Street is one of the busiest around the area. It was already a developed area so there were lots of people engaged in one activity or the other residing  or running a business there.

" Mummy , good evening." I greeted the old woman who sold fruits by the roadside. She had two tables in front of her carrying her commodities. She was currently bent over the second table making fire for her corn. It was corn season and everyone knew she always roasted the best corn.

" My daughter, how are you?" She had the best smile I've ever seen on any old and advanced person. The wrinkles on her face did nothing to hide the fact that she must have been a very good - looking woman when she was young. She still looked beautiful though.

" I'm fine , Ma "

" Good evening, Ma ." Bernard intoned.

" How are you and your parents,  my dear ?"

" We are very well, Ma."

" Well done. Greet them for me ."

" Yes , ma."

She flashed me a smile. " How's your brother and your father?"

"They're fine , Ma."

" You're escorting your friend ?" She asked with a nod towards Bernard.

" Yes , Ma ."

This was always the case with her . She'll ask about everyone's well being with a bright smile that'll make you happy - at least for that moment you are talking with her. Her children were not like her though. Her second and third sons were rusticated from school because of their alleged involvement in secret cult activities. Now, they spent all their time playing football or visiting one sports betting shop or the other. The only daughter she has has three children who have  no idea who their fathers are. The first son - the only seemingly sensible one - taught in a one of the local private schools in the area. His only problem is womanizing.

I always feel bad for her because someone her age shouldn't be working as hard as she does. Her children should be the ones providing her needs and not the other way round.

" I think I'll go back now. "  I said after we've been walking for a while. "Thank  you for today ."

He nodded . He seemed to be battling within himself whether he should say something or not.

" Um... Bye .... Good night ." I waved at him and turned around to go.

" Are you going to tell your Dad?"

" I don't know. I'm confused." I sighed. " I don't even want to think about it." I rubbed my temples. " It's probably nothing."

" Oh... ok. I understand. Take your time ." He patted my shoulder. " You should go back home. Bye ."

"Bye." 

Ben is probably experimenting with drugs.

I didn't actually see him sniff the substance but he was going to do it. I saw him take the paper up to his nose.

Ben . Doing drugs.

Ben. Drugs . Ben. Drugs.

Those two words don't even fit in the same sentence. Ben knows about the implications of substance usage. We were both in church on the Sunday that our teachers in the teenage church invited medical experts to speak to us on drug abuse. We hear about it in school , sometimes on  TV and even cell phones. He'd never engage in something that will likely destroy him. He's the smart one.

Oh God! I don't know if you are hearing me. But , please help my brother. I don't want anything bad to happen to him.

                  ******

" Why are you looking at me like that ?"

" Why do you look like you just did something you are not supposed to do?"

" I did not." I defended a little loudly.

He raised an eyebrow and refused to look away from me  .

" By any chance, did you ...?"

"Yes?" I tried to keep my voice as neutral as possible.

He shook his head." Never mind ."

I heaved a sigh when he turned around to go to his room.

I'll have to be  careful around Ben as he seems suspicious of me.

When I slept that night I had a dream about Ben. He was arrested for an alleged involvement in drug trafficking . He was paraded round the street with just a boxers on . Everything about the dream was just weird. Two of the bouncers from the club were the officers who arrested him and the dreadlocks guy was the judge who passed judgement on Ben in the law court. One of the girls who had on heavy makeup at the club began to cry and roll on the floor when Ben's sentence was passed.

Weird cannot even begin to describe it.

I didn't know if I should be worried about Ben or my mental state.

I didn't give much thought to it though. I was probably having weird dreams because I kept thinking about Ben and imagining  how much trouble he could get into.

A/N: Tanx for reading

          ***Ekwaadoo