Chapter 2

Xavier came rushing down the stairs. "How do I look?"

I took in his polo and khakis. "Like you're trying too hard, but change again, and we'll be late."

He sighed and ran up the stairs again, making me shake my head. He came back down in jeans instead. "Better?"

I nodded. "Let's go."

He kept pulling at his collar, and I threw my hood over my head and put earphones in. I was calculating the time when he waved a hand in front of me, so I would turn the music down. "You're not nervous?"

I shrugged. "Go to class, come home. Same concept, bigger school."

He gaped. "And older kids..."

I rolled my eyes. "You sure we're twins?"

He crossed his arms. "I'm older..."

I chuckled. "Yeah..."

As we passed the middle school, his friends called out to him, and he looked at me sadly. "5 minutes."

I sighed. "I will leave you."

He smiled. "Be back in 5." I turned the music back up and went to lean on the wall. I closed my eyes, and colors and shapes danced in front of me until someone tapped my arm.

I opened one eye, removing an earphone. "Yes?"

Caleb smiled. "Gotta make sure you make it to class."

I blinked. "Oh... didn't see you yesterday after. Seems I've been bumped to tenth."

His face fell. "What?"

I shrugged. "New principal made me take a test. Now..."

He gaped. "You too? I haven't heard anything about mine, though."

I raised an eyebrow. "Well, if you did okay, maybe you'll join me."

He clenched his fist, determined. "Definitely."

I shook my head and stood. "Gotta go... can't be late when I don't know a good exit."

He laughed. "They'll catch you for sure."

I replaced my earphone. "We'll see..."

I tilted my head towards the high school as I passed my brother, and he frowned. I shook my head and kept walking. He caught up, and I returned to a lower volume. "For someone who's never in class, you sure are eager."

I side-eyed him. "Says the guy in a polo, I hate being late if I'm going to show up. It won't last."

He smiled. "Maybe they'll catch you."

I rolled my eyes. "Doubt it."

He paused as it came into view. "Vi... it's... I can't do this. I don't even know where I'm going."

I sighed. "Just come on." I stuffed my hands in my pockets and walked through the gates. We were stopped at the doors and showed our schedules to the guard, who looked at us suspiciously.

I barely registered her comment when I saw something coming fast in the corner of my eye and stepped back, letting it hit her in the face. "Why you!"

When she went running after the culprit and I scooped our stuff from her table. "That was easy..."

***
"E, if Brenda chases you any harder, she'll die from exhaustion."

I looked at my best friend in annoyance. "Not my type."

He gave me a long look. "Nobody is your fucking type."

I sighed and froze as a sweet smell hit my nose. I inhaled again, it was intoxicating, I felt I had smelled it before. I moved to follow it automatically towards the school only for my arm to be grabbed. "Hey, what's wrong with you?"