Chapter 18

I toyed with the knife in my hands, remembering all that happened.  "To say she can fight is an insult, to say she can kill..."  I shuddered at the thought of her hands being stained with blood, but even my dad had to appreciate the piece of art in my hands.  It was beautifully crafted steel, the hilt was adorned with different phases of the moon, The blade thin, sharp, and very deadly, especially in the right hands.

I laid back on the bed.  Her aim was flawless, it took everything for Raven to keep the rogue alive, if I even moved the knife or it jolted the wrong way he would have been dead.  We had to pull it from his spleen precisely as she healed him or he would have bled out in seconds.  I sighed in relief.  "We got there in time, that's what counts."

She didn't even seemed fazed that she was going to kill a man, hell, it seemed she would have enjoyed it.  Another shiver passed through me.  Once she knew she couldn't kill him without consequences she even made a joke about making sure she got her blade back.  "But was that a joke though..."

Someone knocked.  "Come in..."

My dad only opened the door.  "The meeting is about to start."  He saw I was messing with a very sharp knife almost carelessly.  "You shouldn't play with sharp objects that you have no clue how to handle properly."

I scowled, knowing that my skills with weaponry was subpar at best.  "Are you talking about the knife or it's owner?"

He chuckled.  "Both actually.  This one was in that man's spleen, and I can almost guarantee that wasn't luck.  Then, you said there was another on her waist under her clothing.  She is no stranger to violence and with her being so small, that's a blessing."

He sighed.  "As for the owner... her mind is as sharp as her blades are.  That's as much a blessing as it is a curse.  All depends on how she is handled."

I sat up.  "Do you think she would have done it?  Kill him?"

A smile graced his lips as nothing, but respect could be found in his eyes.  "That man was as good as dead.  She just wanted her knife back."

***

I stood and Mr. and Mrs. Valencia entered the room, with Ezekiel and a younger boy in tow.  I looked him over since he was the only one I hadn't met.  Easily in his preteens, but unlike his brother he took after his mother in looks, softer with reddish brown hair and blue eyes.  "It's a pleasure to see you again... except..."

The boy met my gaze only to quickly look away.  "Dominic, ma'am."

I blinked at the title, but said nothing further and returned to my seat beside my mother.  Mr. Valencia looked at me with interest.  "Seems Ezekiel brought in a rogue in critical condition..."

I nodded and met his gaze.  "He threatened me, asked to join my pack, attacked me only to be freed, then went for his gun."

He blinked.  "Well... Ms.  Montgomery, we are very aware that you are new to this and delighted that you actually requested to know the rules, but... you almost killed him."

I tilted my head.  "And would have done so without a second thought, if not for your son.  You're healer is quite talented if he survived."

His wife gasped.  "You say it so casually."

I thought for a moment.  "He threatened me and my pack, tried to deceive me, then tried to pull a gun on me and your son was also present, by the way, no telling who he would have went for first considering he is your future Alpha."

Ezekiel frowned.  "You've killed before..."

I pursed my lips, deciding to only give half the story.  "In self defense and no where near as intentional as this one... we were struggling for a gun and it went off.  Guns were never my preference."