Chapter 14

To say I was pissed was an understatement, even alone, and when I said I would tell no one, she was silent and afraid. Her wolf would die if I didn't do something, anything, and I would lose my mate forever. I couldn't risk it, especially when she wanted to stay.

I dragged her back to the party to find my parents. She'd take to staying better if they said she could. She struggled, her fear more palpable the closer we got, but that only made me angrier. I wasn't thinking about what would happen to her until I saw her parents talking to mine.

I clenched my jaw, I had to talk fast, but I never expected what would happen when I released her hand.

***

No matter my efforts, I couldn't break his hold as we reentered the party. My heart raced when I saw both of our parents talking to each other, and I struggled harder. Xander glared. "What's going on here?"

I looked around, distressed, until Xavier came up to me. "Let her go."

I sighed in relief and signed wildly where our father couldn't see. "Stop him... he... he said he'll make sure we'll stay. He doesn't understand. I'm sorry. I told him..."

He put his hands on my shoulder. "I need you to calm down..."

I shook my head. "He..."

He sighed and glared at Ezekiel, whispering to his parents. He looked at our own. "We want to stay."

Our dad laughed. "You don't have that choice. What? Did your sister find a boyfriend?"

I shook my head and dropped my head into my hands. "Honey... we should really discuss this at home."

Xavier made me look at him. "If you really want to stay... you have to tell them."

I frowned and signed to them. "I want to stay in this town... at this school."

My father frowned. "The answer is no."

I blinked as his eyes shifted and tilted my head, recognizing this was the same power that Ezekiel and his dad used. "Then you'll leave without us."

His jaw clenched. "This is not a place to discuss this."

I stood and walked until I had to crane my neck up to see him. "We're staying..."

He blinked when he heard my voice, and his eyes turned red. "Why you little..."

I didn't back away or blink. "Stop before you cause more of a scene." He blinked, the red vanishing. "Xavier and I have chosen this place. Either you stay with us or you go... your choice."

He bared his teeth, which were now sharp, somehow, and I felt something strong move inside me at the sight. "You think you can just..."

I raised my chin as he backed up, feeling strangely calm as he seemed to change before me. "Our decision stands... make yours."

His darted away from mine, and whatever was rising in me settled. "We're leaving..."

"You're leaving..." I looked at my mother shocked. "I'll stick with my children."

I smiled. "Really?"

She came over and hugged me. "I'll stick with my alpha."

I tilted my head at the word. "You really need to explain what that is."

She giggled. "Yes... when we get home."

A roar ripped through the hall, and I gasped as a giant wolf was before me. I stepped back. "What?"

A low growl escaped my mother's throat, and I looked at her horrified as her skin began to change. Xavier pulled me away, but I pushed him back, noting that our father seemed to have vanished. It took a moment to click, but I put the pieces together as he began to circle us.