161 - Lies

I wrote a song about being broke. It kind of started out as a joke. I didn't go to college. What would I know about student loans? I just wanted you all to relate to me. Most of my songs aren't true. I faked a heartbreak that I didn't go through. Even when I told you I've "never been in love," I already was. I just wanted you all to relate to me. I don't mean to mislead you, I promise. I'm so uncomfortable being dishonest. I think I just realized I would say anything to come off a little more interesting. That's why I tell lies.
     I'd rather tell myself if I ignore these thoughts. They'll go away. My toxic friends have changed. The truth is, I hate confrontation. "I'll deal with it tomorrow because there's nothing I can do." That's my favorite excuse. Feeding my procrastination, I'll be happy when I've had success. Is that my way to admit I'm depressed? My therapy's retail. If it's on sale, I pay the price and call that happiness. I think I just realized I would do anything to keep hiding the pain I've been burying. That's why I tell lies.
     Over and over, I keep on repeating until it all sounds like the truth to me. I cover them up like I'm putting out fires. The last thing I want is for you to think I'm a liar. That's why I tell lies.

I don't mean to mislead you, I promise.
I promise!
I'm so uncomfortable being dishonest...
Dishonest...

//word count: 260 words.