Chapter 20- Into the Darkness

Winter exhaled softly into the crisp morning air. The sky was grey, warning them a storm was not far off. The group of dragons had left around 3 hours ago when the sky was still dark.

Winter lingered behind them for a while. His thoughts were running elsewhere. Still, he needed to focus. Remaining cautious was of the utmost importance right now.

And yet, there she sat. Moon, overwhelming his thoughts so that any sense of caution was pushed away.

Why couldn't he just dragon up and talk to her? Why had things become so awkward between them?

Was it his fault? Maybe giving so much attention to Siren pushed Moon away. 

Or was it...

Ash.

That Skywing was clearly in love with Moon. And Winter watched his chances of her slipping away and into Ash's talons increase.

A flash of blue caught his eyes and brought Winter back to reality. Siren was now walking beside him.

"What's with the pouty face?"

Winter frowned. "My face isn't pouty." Siren rolled her eyes. "It TOTALLY is."

Winter huffed. "We still have a lot of traveling to do, so I'm just tired." He murmured. Siren nodded and said no more.

The group decided to walk most of the way to avoid being seen. They had no idea where Darkstalker might be, and if they stayed out of sight then it would benefit Moon's plan.

Most of the day they traveled in silence. It was almost relaxing. No arguments, no chatter, just quiet. Winter enjoyed it.

That was, until Ash spoke up. "We should stop and hunt." He suggested. Siren nodded. "Yes please! Let's see if there's a lake nearby! I need some fish."

So it was decided that stopping to hunt and rest was the best idea. Besides, it was getting late anyways.

Winter took a moment to slip away from the group and get a sense of the area. They were still surrounded by trees, so finding a deer would be easy.

Deer wasn't his favorite, but he sometimes would have it in the Ice Kingdom.

And just as he predicted, Winter caught scent of a deer.

He followed it for a while, before taking a leap at it- and crashing into a tree. Winter wasn't used to hunting in forests, and it would take him a while before he was.

Behind him he heard a slight laugh. He turned around to see Moon, who had caught the deer. It lay in front of her talons.

"Clearly you don't hunt well in the woods." She said, with a slight smile. "Oh please, I was just letting you have it." He grinned back.

She rolled her eyes, her smile widening.

Winter stood up and brushed off the dirt with a sigh. "We should get back to Siren and Ash." Moon nodded in agreement and picked up the deer, with slight struggle.

Winter stepped in and took it for her, earning a half smile from his Nightwing friend that said "thank you." They soon returned to where Siren and Ash were. A small fire had been started, the flames covered by the canopy of trees.

Siren seemed upset as Winter placed down the deer by the fire. "What's wrong?" He asked. "I couldn't find any fish in this stream I found.

Ash glanced at Moon and then at the deer. "Did you catch that?"

Moon nodded, and Ash stared at her with slight surprise on his face.

"There's enough to share, you guys should have some."