Decision time

'One year. Good grief how is that possible?' I thought to myself as Mom drove home. "You know we're going ton have to tell Dad and Kelo right?" Mom said bring me out of my reverie. I thought about what she said. "I think it's best to tell them right away don't you?" I asked her. "You know as soon as we get home I have to make dinner and I don't want to ruin dinner." "Well then I call a house meeting after dinner." In our family anyone in the family can call a house meeting to discuss important news or important decisions. It was this thing that actually got us Freckles. My brother and I had been begging Mom and Dad to get a dog for awhile and the meeting was what ended up with Freckles. "Do you remember how we got Freckles?" I asked Mom laughing. "Yes I do. I'm still amazed that you boys saved your allowance for three months to save for the dog." Mom and Dad had been so against getting a dog that they said that we would have to buy the dog ourselves and that they would pay the vet bills but everything else would be up to us. "Hey we wanted a dog! Kelo even got a paper route to make it faster!" "Well you guys are determined I'll give you that." As we pulled into the driveway I noticed that Dad wasn't home yet. "Where's Dad?" I asked Mom. "I think he told me he was having a coffee meeting with Dan. He should be home in time for dinner though." Dan was Dad's coworker at the law firm he worked at. As I went into the house to do homework I noticed that Freckles hadn't been walked yet as she was waiting for me in my room with her leash. She does this every time Kelo and I forget to walk her when we get home from school. "OH I'm so sorry Girl! You want to go for a walk don't you." Freckles barked her affirmation. "Alright then let's go" I told her clipping on her leash. We ran downstairs to the kitchen. "Hey Mom I'm just taking Freckles for a walk." "Okay but don't go far. Dinner is in twenty." "Sure thing Mom" I said over my shoulder as Freckles started pulling for the front door. "Alright Freckles alright we're going" I laughed. We walked down the street and around the block. When I got back I saw Dad and Kelo pulling up in the car. "I thought you were at a coffee meeting Dad?" "Well Mako I was when Kelo came into the shop with a pretty girl and I offered them a ride home since my meeting was ending anyways." "Pretty girl? What's her name?" I said mischievously.  "Her name's Mekela. She's in my maths class at school." "Woo HOO! My brother's got a girlfriend!" "Ah shut up! Yes she's my girlfriend but only if her Dad gives permission. Tomorrow I'm meeting him to ask." "It's always polite to ask the parents for permission boys" Dad said. "DINNER!" Mom called through the open window. We went into the dining room and ate spaghetti. I looked at Mom and she nodded her head giving me permission to call a family meeting. "Guys there's something I need to tell you. I'm calling a family meeting." "Okay." We cleared the dishes and then sat back down at the dining table. "So what's this about Mako?" Kelo asked me. "Well Mom and I had a doctor's appointment this afternoon. As you know this curse on me is only going to get worse and well.." "It's gotten worse hasn't it?" Kelo said quietly.  I looked away unable to answer. "Yes" Mom said "This week alone Mako has had three seizures. This morning he had a particularly bad one. We booked an appointment this afternoon and Dr Hollow told us that Mako probably doesn't have more than a year to live." Dad and Kelo gasped at this news. "So basically he wont even graduate elementary school?" Kelo asked tears in his eyes. 'Damn I thought to myself 'That's true as I'm only in Grade Five and I'm ten' "Yes. That's true" Mom said. "Well then what's the point of continuing?" I burst out.