2

I close my laptop and push back on my wheely desk chair. That one email could make it or break it for me.

   I get up and walk to the kitchen to grab a drink from the refrigerator when my roommate bursts through the front door.

   "Cammie! You would NOT believe who I met on set today!!" She squeals, tossing her bags on the ground in front of her.

     She rushes over, nearly tripping, and grabs me by the shoulders.

      "Derek. Fisher. Was. IN THE SAME BUILDING AS ME!" She screeches, "I don't know if they just casted him or what! But I'M FREAKING OUT!"

     "Yeah, I can tell," I say, removing her hand from my shoulder. "That's pretty cool. But you can't really say you met him if you only saw him."

       "Hey! Don't kill this for me!" She says, going back to the door to collect her bags.

     Seraphina Walker, aka my best friend and aspiring actor, has a pretty good success rate. She books roles like clockwork.

     I, on the other hand, am quite the opposite. I've been unemployed for months since I left my old editing job. Let's just say, I'm... "borrowing" some of Sera's earnings until further notice.

     "So, did you get a call?" Sera asks me, collapsing on the couch.

      "No, Sera. I literally pressed send on the email like 2 minutes before you walked in." I reply, with absolutely no hope in the possibility of getting a call.

      "Well, don't feel bad. You probably will!" She says in a cheerful voice.

     I honestly have no idea how me and Sera get along so well. She's a cheerful ball of hope, happiness, and excitement, whereas I'm far more on the gloomy, pessimistic side. But either way, we're like peas in a pod.

     "Hey by the way, I'm going to William's later. So you're gonna have to be alone tonight." She chirps, breaking my train of thought.

      "Fine. More ice cream for me anyway." I says.

       "Honestly, Cam. You really need a boyfriend. Why won't you go speed dating with me?"

       "You already know the answer to that. I don't really feel like getting murdered, stalked, or kidnapped."

       "But speed dating isn't Tinder!"

I don't reply.

    Dating has always been a bit of a touchy subject for me. My parents divorced when I was in 7th grade, and I never had a boyfriend. Well, except for 1 guy in the second grade. It only lasted for 2 days.

      "I'm not even focused on dating right now anyways," I finally say, "I need to focus on getting a job."

       "Just date a rich man!" Sera says, winking at me.

     I roll my eyes and laugh. I know she would never really understand.