Chapter Ten

Noah and I spend the morning of March 1st packing up his car to go see our parents. Although it is only just the beginning of what can be considered spring, the sun is out, birds are chirping, and although there is quite the chill in the air, it's the first time in awhile that I'm not freezing without a heavy jacket. Noah insisted that we wake up at 6:00 a.m. so that we could be on the road by 7:30, so now, at 7:25, I'm throwing the last few things into the car and using the washroom for the last time before we leave. Noah has already said that we shouldn't stop more than three times if we want to get there before noon, but I had to remind him that the baby growing inside of me might not agree with that. We already agreed to stop at the McDonald's drive-thru for breakfast, but I also packed snacks for my growing hunger, hoping that I can save Noah from stopping a few times.
I finally get in the car, and Noah shoots me a playful look that I know means 'finally' but I just roll my eyes, and strap myself in with the seatbelt.
"Ready?" Noah asks, and then adds, "You're sure you have everything you need for a few days at home, right?"
"Yes Noah, I checked and double checked."
"Alright, alright, just checking," and with that he starts the car, and we take off for the day.
I know that the drive is about three hours long, but the anxiety of seeing my dad and the Flynns kicks in almost immediately. I know that my dad will most likely be excited about the baby, but I don't think he is going to be impressed with how long I kept the Hayden secret. I'm almost more nervous to tell Mrs. Flynn about the baby, and to see her reaction to Noah's news. Mrs. Flynn has always been like a second mom to me, and her approval means just as much to me as my dad's does. I try to focus on the road ahead of us, or distract myself by looking at the window at the passing trees and houses, but I can't seem to turn off my anxiety.
Noah pulls into McDonald's about fifteen minutes into the drive, and I order two of everything I always order: a sausage mcmuffin and a hashbrown. However, this time I switch out my regular iced coffee for a strawberry banana smoothie. Within no time we're back on the road and it doesn't take me long at all to scarf down my food. Lately I feel like this baby isn't what's making me gain weight, but all the eating I have been doing. The baby bump is starting to become noticeable, so I'm lucky that Noah let me wear his sweater today. I make a note that while I'm in L.A. I should ask Mrs. Flynn if she'll take me maternity clothes shopping, because if my mom was still around it would be something that I would do with her. I smile sadly at the thought. I wish my mom was going to know my baby. She would have been a kick-ass grandma.
I fiddle with the radio for a bit, already feeling restless. We've only been in the car for about forty-five minutes, but I have to pee, and I know Noah won't stop until the one-hour mark at a rest stop. When we're about five minutes away, my phone starts ringing with my FaceTime ringtone.
"Who is it?" Noah asks.
"My dad," I say, and I know that I have to pick it up.
"I'll be quiet," Noah says, and I turn myself so that my dad will only see the window behind me.
I swipe across my phone, picking up the call.
"Elle! We're so excited for you to get here!" My phone screen reveals my dad and Brad on the couch of my old home.
I smile. "I'm so excited too! I've missed you guys!"
"We're still meeting at dinner, right? At the Lakeview?"
I nod. "Yeah, and I hope you don't mind but I also invited the Flynns."
My dad frowns. "You know that the boys aren't home right?"
Noah chuckles a little behind my phone, and I roll my eyes. "Yes dad, I know. But the Flynns have always been like a second family to me, and I've missed them."
"Alright, alright," my dad says, and then Brad chimes in. "Can I talk to Hayden?" he asks.
"Oh, no, bud," I say, not even missing a beat, "he's really busy driving, and I don't want to distract him, but he's waving right now, and he's excited to see you!"
"Turn the camera around so I can see him!" Brad presses, and I gulp.
"Oh, shoot, I'm sorry, we're just about to stop at a rest stop, so I really have to go but we'll see you soon!" I say, trying to rush this conversation to end. We are about to stop, so it's not even really a lie.
"Okay," my dad answers, "see you soon, kiddo! Drive safe, love you!"
Noah eyes me as I hang up the call. "Are you alright?"
I smile. "Yes. But I really need to pee so park the car."
Noah chuckles. "Yes ma'am."