Chapter 9- TRL Takeover

October 1, 2000

I stood behind a corner, eavesdropping but truthfully anyone from a mile away could hear. I always wondered where it all went wrong and if Kim was as bad as Marshall portrayed her in his music.

"Why have you been avoiding me? My calls.. You haven't even seen your daughter in months, Marshall. Now I hear you're about to go on tour?"

"I'm not having this conversation with you..."

"I don't care how you feel about me but you can at least come and see your daughter."

"Are you on that stuff again? I told you months ago that I wanted to see her but you wouldn't let me!"

"If this is some kinda shakedown so you can get full custody then I ain't falling for it. Talk to my lawyer."

We haven't spoken in days and I didn't even know he was stopping by for an appearance on TRL. Coincidentally, I was here to promote Aaliyah and Carmen's talent search, deciding I wanted to start October off with a good deed. He was in his usual outfit sporting a  white shirt,  grey sweats and air force ones but something about him seemed off. Maybe he was going through a tough with the divorce process. I wanted to go talk to him, but we haven't talked in a while after I pretty much never returned his phone call. He took a cup and held it under the water dispensary. As he took a sip, he glanced over and noticed I was watching him. His eyes lit up. Now I practically had to talk to him...

I decided to walk over and get a drink of water also. Slyly, I started a conversation. "Hey..Everything ok?"

He glanced at me. "Oh..so now you wanna talk to me?" He scoffed. "Where were you when I was tryna talk to you?"

There was no possible excuse or response I could make. I might as well just keep it real. "I'm sorry. I was going through something?"

"What was it then ? What was so terrible that you could even pick up the phone for seven days?"

I went numb for a second. Something about remembering that I was practically violated in a hallway and his attitude towards the unknown situation struck a chord in me.

"You're mad because I'm showing you the same attention you've been giving me? You went from "you're a cool girl. I like you" to nothing at all." What happened?"

He fixed his face to respond but a producer came by and tapped him on the shoulder. "You got thirty seconds." Fuck. It never seemed like time worked in our favor. 

"Look, can you at least tell me what you wanted?"

He interlocked his hands behind his neck and huffed, plopping them down on his sides seeming agitated. "You know what? Just forget about it."

I stood back confused as absolute hell seeing him walk away. That wasn't the reaction I was expecting. 
"Marshall!" I called his name but he didn't even bother to acknowledge me. He soon walked on stage meeting Sway Calloway who filled in for Carson Daly. The personality switch was almost scary..like nothing happened at all. I watched him go from stressed divorcee to crackhead in ten seconds. The crowd was hyped but quieted down when the time was right.

So what's going on? We heard you're going on tour very soon with Limp Bizkit??

Yeah. Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, Xzibit...

Hip Hop and Rock music..that's a strange combination isn't it?

Nah. At Least not to me. I feels like the same thing with a different delivery. 

Now the name of the tour is very interesting. How did you all come with the name Anger Management Tour?

I named the tour because It's the perfect name for a tour like this, because most of the music featured in the tour is about anger, frustration, and the bullshit of our lives and the fans loving every minute of it. It's the blend of hardcore rap, industrial metal, and alternative metal that gives it the anger management feel, literally

Now the last tour, Up In Smoke was successful. What can people expect from the upcoming tour?

Touring comes along with a bunch of responsibilities and it also comes along with a lot of women. Are you afraid that you'll be leaving anyone behind? A girlfriend maybe?

Nah, none of that. Slim Shady is a free man!

It was to the point where I couldn't hear anymore. I blinked back the tears started to form in my eyes and I just had to swallow the hard lump in my  throat and walk away. What else do I wanna hear? I mean, yeah he is single.... but I don't want him messing around with anyone else because I don't wanna mess around with anyone else. It was at this moment I realized that I was down bad. Really bad. 

(Author's Note)

It's disgusting how I post a chapter and disappear for like a month but I'm done with school and I graduate next week so I got time on my hands 🎊🎉🎊🎉If you're confused about this plot a little  bit then I'm posting  a "one week earlier" chapter soon so it should tie it all together. Also, I feel like I don't put things in Marshall's POV enough and I'm sorry about that. That's coming up too. Stay tuned.