40

February 2022

February 2022

               His heart thumps nervously

Every second Shantey takes to answer him, the more pieces of his heart chips off. He starts to lose hope. He starts to not wanting the response.

"I can be without you..."

Those words were the knife to stab him in the chest. It felt like the sharp tool was being twisted and wringing the blood flow from the organ.

Reaching forward, he takes a hold of the beer and points the bottle at her. "Well, there it is..." he guzzles down the drink—wishing for something stronger, "I'll leave you alone."

When he notices her standing and footing towards him, he says, "Na', Mini, stay on yo' side."

She ignores him, removing the bottle beer from his hand, and sitting on his lap.

"See this shit you doin'?" he motions at her, "You want me to let you go? So lemme do that without you sendin' mixed signals. We coparent—"

"Shh," she cuts in with her finger on his lip, "I wasn't finish." She states, staring him in the eye, "I can be without you. . . But I couldn't imagine not havin' you in my life. I couldn't cope with you bein' with another woman or havin' kids with another woman. I need you like you need me. You're the only husband I see in my life. You're the only man I plan to say I do to. I'm in love with you. I know that because I hate disappointing you and you know with anybody else I don't care. You bring out the best in me. I need you."

His heart softens.

The pieces of his heart that shattered builds back together after her words fills his eardrums.

All he can do is smile.

"I need you. Yes, I need you. Yes, I need you. Yes, I need you. 'Cause I want you." her buttery vocals sings, remixing Jhene Aiko's song in his face.