26 | We fight, we break up. We kiss, we make up

Jughead turned to the side to face Betty, furrowing his eyebrows when he saw her distressed expression. "What's wrong?" He asked, concern evident in his voice.

"It's just...." She trailed off with a sigh, but even without saying the words, Jughead understood.

"I know you don't trust me, and you don't have to. But please, just give me a chance to redeem myself." He pleaded.

"You hurt me Jughead." She stated quietly.

"I know, and I never meant any of it. I was just...." He sighed. "I thought that maybe if I pushed you away then maybe it would help me move on from you."

Betty furrowed her eyebrows, not understanding.

He brought his hand up to her head and began stoking her hair, tucking in a few loose strands that were in her face. "It's you Betty. It's always been you."

"When Sarah told me she was pregnant I thought I had to be with her because of the baby, and after she told me that she also threatened to never let me see the baby if I don't stop talking to you." Sadness washed over his face as he continued. "I figured that maybe if I got mad at you about stupid stuff and you hated me, maybe that would make it all easier."

He sighed once again, still stoking her blonde locks. "I know that's not a valid excuse, but I just wanted you to know why I did what I did, and I'm so sorry. I never meant to hurt you."

Betty stayed quiet. What was she supposed to say? That it was okay? It wasn't. Well, she understood why he did it, he just wanted to be in his non-existent baby's life, but treating Betty like that was low. Like, deeper than hell itself low.

"You don't have to forgive me, I don't expect you to. I wouldn't even forgive me."

After a while, Betty finally spoke up. "A wise man once said to forgive people who hurt you. Not for them, but for you. God knows how crazy I went on Sarah from all of the built up anger I had in me from not forgiving her. And I want to live my life without anger inside of me, without holding a grudge against someone because of what they did to me. I'm going to forgive you, because it's the right thing to do."

Betty looked taken aback. Did she really just say that? Wow, she was becoming a Toni 2.0.

"So, what does that mean for us?" Jughead asked quietly.

"Jughead, I might of forgiven you, but it's gonna take some time to let you in, nevermind date you."

Jughead nodded. "I understand."

Betty smiled, she liked how mature he was being about this.

He leaned in, placing a soft kiss on her lips.

"I'll wait for you." He whispered against her lips. "For however long it takes." He pulled back and smiled at Betty.

"Thank you, for understanding."

"And since prom is coming up soon, maybe we could go....together?" Jughead asked, his eyes hopeful.

Betty smiled. "I'd love to."

Jughead stared at Betty, examining every aspect of her face. It was then he wondered how he could ever mix her and Sarah up. Betty was so pure, so sweet, and no matter what happened to her she always had that beautiful smile on her face. He could never mistake them.

"God, you're so beautiful." Jughead began to stroke her hair again as she smiled at him, wondering how he ever got so lucky to meet this precious girl.

Starting this day, he vowed to never hurt her again. Ever.

#