Chapter 10

Benny's POV

June came over and we went to my room. We sat down on my bed and talked. That was it, just talked. I'm not saying that as a bad thing. I like how we just talked. It was nice.
"What am I going to do? I mean, my dad might not even remember that he tried to hit me. If he does, he might not apologize or say anything at all," June said. It was more of a rant, a nervous and terrified rant.
"June," I got her attention and got her to focus on me. "We will get through whatever happens or doesn't happen."
"We?" She was a little thrown off guard.
"Yes we! Do you really think I would let you go through all of this by yourself?"
"I should have known better," she smiled. "Thank you Benny, I honestly don't know what I would do without you." I knew I had started blushing. Hearing June say that made my heart flutter.
"Frankly, I don't know what I would do without you either. I think I would actually murder some of the guys if you weren't around," I replied.
She laughed her cute laugh. "That's a lot of pressure to put on someone Benny."
"So you are back to being super sarcastic again?" I asked. Even though I was teasing her for it, I was thrilled that she was being sarcastic again. It meant she was herself again.
"Of course," she said.
"Glad to have you back June," I joked.
She giggled. "I could never be gone for too long."

We talked for a little while longer and then we decided to physically do something. The best thing we could think of was watching a movie. It was starting to get a bit late into the night, so that was a pretty good choice.
"I'll watch anything except for another horror movie," June remarked.
"Don't worry, I won't put you through that again," I said.
"Can I make a suggestion?" Avery suddenly asked from the kitchen.
"Sure," Avery had great taste in movies so I definitely wouldn't have a problem with her voicing a suggestion. Avery's favorite type of movies were murder mysteries, she's a huge nerd when it comes to that kind of stuff, so she recommended her favorite murder mystery of all time. June and I hadn't picked a movie yet so we decided to watch it. Avery was so excited about our decision that she joined in and watched it with us.

June had concocted a theory of who the killer was and their motives for killing. In my opinion, the theory was completely absurd and unbelievable. I had a theory of my own and it was a solid one. At least, I thought it was. The movie ended and, to my disappointment, June's theory was right. She nailed it. She even had the motives correct.

I hate to say it, but I was a little sad that my theory wasn't right. I was fairly confident in it. That's why I was so surprised that June's theory was incredibly accurate.
"I was right all along," she said once the movie ended.
"You were, you were literally spot on," Avery responded.
"I still think my theory makes more sense," I knew my comment would start one of June and I's playful arguments. That's exactly why I made it.
"Well obviously it doesn't because it was completely wrong," she said something along the lines of what I predicted.
I smirked. "Maybe the writers just took the easy way out. Maybe my theory was originally right, but they thought it was too sophisticated."
"Or maybe you're just delusional. You could also be jealous of the fact that I would be a better detective than you," she shot back.
That was the moment I realized I lost this argument. "Alright, you win."
"I already won like two minutes ago," she laughed. I couldn't help but laugh as well. I glanced at Avery and saw her smirking. I rolled my eyes and fought every urge to say a snarky comment to her.

June and I hung out for a little bit longer and then we went to sleep. In the morning, we ate breakfast and went to the sandlot. When we got there, June explained her current situation to everyone. She wanted to be honest and tell them. Everyone was supportive and only offered help.

After June confessed and explained everything, all the guys pulled me aside.
"Benny, I think June might like you back," Smalls said.
"Why?" There was no way she would ever feel the same way.
"Why would she call you instead of Nancy? Doesn't that seem a little weird?" He said. I guess it was a little odd that she called me over her own family, but that wasn't enough evidence to support Small's claim.
"That doesn't prove she likes me!" I argued. I continued arguing, "She was scared and in a terrible situation. She was just relying on what her instincts and heart told her to do."
"That's not helping your point," Squints stated.
"What do you mean?" I honestly had no idea what Squints was going to say next.
"You are saying that she contacted the first person her heart told her to, right?" He asked.
"Right," that was exactly my point. She did whatever came to her mind first. She wasn't thinking or planning anything out.
"That person was you!" Squints was close to yelling. His almost yelling didn't distract me from his point. I've never thought of it that way before. June's heart would have told her to call me. Why? Maybe because she does have feelings for me! I didn't want to get my hopes up however. This wasn't concrete proof that June liked me. It was just something for me to chew on.
"Are you guys going to play baseball or would you prefer to stand around all day?" June interrupted my personal thoughts.
"We are coming!" I called to her. I gestured for the guys to go play ball. They all went to the field and I followed them.

I couldn't stop thinking about June. That was normal though. The abnormal part was that I also couldn't stop thinking about what Squints said. I couldn't get rid of the thought that there was a chance that June had feelings for me.

Author's Note: Chapter 10!! This chapter is a little all over the place, but part of it was supposed to be in the last chapter so I have to deal with it lol 😂
I hope you still enjoyed this chapter even though it was a bit all over the place! 😊❤️
Just like all the other chapters, I proofread but if you find any typos please let me know! 👍