Chapter 11

June's POV

We only played ball for a little bit. We played for like thirty minutes maximum. We stopped because it got really hot really quickly. It was far too hot to play baseball. Benny still wanted to play because of course he did. That's how Benny is. Everyone else was dying because of the heat. Nobody else could stand it.

The heat was the reason we decided to go to the pool. Swimming was the only activity that was bearable in such insane temperatures. It actually helped us survive in the scorching heat.

Everyone went back to their house to get their swimsuits and then we all met at the pool. I wore a simple black one-piece. I used a pair of shorts overalls as a coverup. I also put my long brown hair in a high ponytail. Quite the contrary to my usual low pony. Nancy dressed completely different from myself. When it came to fashion, we were polar opposites. She wore a floral two-piece and used a yellow sundress as a coverup. She also left her blonde hair down. I was going to let my hair down eventually, just not until I was physically swimming.

We somehow managed to get to the pool at almost the exact same time. Everyone arrived within a few minutes of each other. All the guys, except for Benny because he doesn't like to have fun apparently, jumped into the pool the second they got there.
"Does this happen every time you come here?" Nance asked.
"Yup," I answered. Nancy and I didn't jump into the pool immediately, but we didn't waste any time either. I took off my overalls and carefully put them down on a lounge chair. I took my hair out of the ponytail and that's when I noticed Benny staring at me. He had a look on his face that I couldn't explain. I couldn't find the right words to describe it.
"Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked.
"L-Like what? I don't know what you're talking about," he got defensive instantly.
"Okay okay, no need to get defensive, you dork," I said.
He laughed and rolled his eyes. "How do you always have a sarcastic comeback?"
I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know, I guess it's just a gift." Benny laughed harder and walked away.

I glanced at Nancy. "That was weird, right?"
Nance giggled. "It was definitely weird."
"What was that look on his face?" I thought Nancy might be able to describe Benny's expression.
"It looks like he likes you," she teased.
"Right," I couldn't be more sarcastic if I tried. There was no way he would ever like me in that way.
"Seriously, think about it June. You saw that look. He was looking at you the same way Squints looks at that Wendy girl," Nancy explained.
"Really?" I asked.
"Yes really!" She was giddy and practically cheering. This didn't make me think Benny actually had a crush on me. However, it did make me think that it was a possibility. A small possibility, but a possibility nonetheless.

A decent amount of time had passed and I noticed that Benny had barely gone into the pool.
"Okay, I know you rather be playing baseball but are you really not going to get in the pool?" I hoped my question would pester him and spur him to actually swim.
"I did!" He protested.
"Yeah, for like two minutes. That doesn't count," I said.
"I think it does," he continued to protest.
"You can think it does all you want, but it still doesn't," I shot back.
"Fine, I'll consider going in the pool again. Happy now?" He finally stopped protesting.
"Not really, but I guess it's good enough," I said. I started to walk away, but I suddenly stopped and smirked. I had a devilishly good idea.

I creeped up behind Benny and shoved him into the pool. He released a tiny scream as he fell in.
"Was that really necessary?" He asked once he popped back up to the water's surface.
"I think it was. I mean, I had to get you into the pool somehow," I chuckled.
Benny swiftly swam to the pool ledge. I knew he was going to do something sinister, but I couldn't figure out what that something was. I unfortunately found out when Benny grabbed my hands and pulled me into the pool.
"That was unfair!" I shrieked once I came up from underwater.
He crossed his arms. "Oh and what you did to me was so fair?"
"Yes, I was helping you have fun," I tried to sound serious, but my incoming laughter made any seriousness disappear.
"I'll show you fun!" He smirked and I knew he was going to commit another sinister act. He grabbed me from behind, like a bear hug, and threw me. He threw me to his left and surprisingly far.
"Now that was unfair!" I was laughing hysterically at this point.
"Was it? I'm not so sure," his smirk still remained on his face.
"You're an idiot Benny," I said.
"Don't worry June, I am very much aware of that. You remind me almost every day," he replied. I splashed him and smiled. He splashed me back and smiled too. He really was an idiot. I'm glad I remind him so often.

We were at the pool for a few hours before we started heading home. I think everyone had a lot of fun. I know I definitely did.

Author's Note: Chapter 11! This chapter is frickin adorable!! That's all I have to say.
I hope you enjoyed this chapter!! 😊❤️
Like usual, I proofread but if you see any typos please let me know! 👍