Five - Catch Up with The Girls

"I do find the youth rather strange," Margaret explained to her friends as she twirled the teaspoon through her cup of coffee absentmindedly. "I've gone to all this trouble and they still haven't invited me to their wedding!"

At least once a fortnight, Margaret liked to catch up with her best friends; two women she had been acquainted with for a considerable amount of time, but only properly got to know when they befriended each other at the local 'Knit and Stitch' group a few years ago. These two were the only ladies who left the club in solidarity with Margaret after she had a rough disagreement with the leader.

"I was only trying to explain that she had done her pattern wrong!" Margaret had announced unhappily to Peter that evening when she had arrived back home.

"Margaret, it's one thing to tell someone they've made a mistake; it's another thing to make an entire scene and mock her in earshot of everything else. What's more, you snatched her knitting away when she had her back turned and unpicked it!"

"I was helping her get a head start with fixing it," Margaret had snapped.

Spending time with her two best friends was calming; a form of therapy Margaret had no idea she needed until they got together. Usually, she would vent about her frustrations whilst her friends sat, listening and enjoying their drinks. Then they'd have about ten minutes to talk about themselves as Margaret downed her own beverage upon realising she'd forgotten about it. Afterwards, they'd say their goodbyes and not see each other again until it was time for the next meet up, or if they bumped into each other on the street.

On occasion the meeting spot changed, but generally they would gather in an old vintage styled café in the smart area of town, where the drinks were tremendously overpriced and the food was a literal assault to the tastebuds. But somehow people found themselves ordering more just to see if the quality – of lack of – had changed.

The women would sit in woven chairs at a wooden table by the back window, whilst they chatted away about whatever came to mind, sometimes even bringing some sewing to do. That was a joy of being considered "elderly"; Margaret could be sat in a café darning a hole in Peter's socks, which she most likely would have forgotten to do that morning after spending too long in front of the television, and nobody would give it a second glance.

Although Margaret was quick to point out to people that she, in fact, was not TOO old. In fact, she didn't even have a pensioner bus pass yet! Not that she'd ever use the bus when Peter could drive her.

Gloria, Margaret's closest friend, was just nearing the age of sixty-eight and did own a pensioner buss pass, although she seldom used it. Living off two divorce settlements meant that she had a very comfortable and leisurely life. Gloria was passionate about her health and proud of her ability to touch her toes without bending her knees. Regularly taking her three dogs on long walks, going to yoga classes once a week, and staying clear of any processed foods helped her keep in shape. When she wasn't out and about, Gloria could be found in her kitchen, creating her own recipes of healthy alternatives.

These were fantastic for Hazel, Margaret's other friend, only fifty-five years old, but a diabetic and considerably heavier than Margaret and Gloria combined. Hazel had a sweet tooth and could always bake cakes to perfection. When it came to coffee mornings and fundraisers, Hazel's bakes were the first to sell. After never returning to her hair dressing career once her maternity leave was over, Hazel spent her time at home reading, sewing and watching reality TV, but always leaving one afternoon free for a session at the gym.

"Children are unusual," Gloria nodded solemnly, her short grey spiked hair (but not in a "punk rock" sort of way that Margaret would disapprove of – if Gloria's hair was too extreme and not respectable, Margaret would simply refuse to meet her in public) catching the lights above them whenever she tilted her head. "Honestly, they don't know how to be thankful."