It Should've Been Me

Chapter 9

*Adam's POV*

"I love you, Adam," Tommy said before falling down to the ground. I caught him before he reached the ground. I lay him down the ground, I rip my shirt's sleeve & applied pressure to the bleeding wound, trying to stop the bleeding.

"Stay with me, Tommy," I said. He smiled, he held my hand. "Help! Somebody help!"

"Sir, please move. We need to get him in the ambulance," I moved as the paramedics loaded Tommy into the ambulance.

"I'm going with him to the hospital," I said as I climbed into the ambulance with Tommy.

"What happened?" a paramedic asked.

"My ex-boyfriend, Brad kidnapped me & Tommy & tortured both of us. Thankfully, the police found us & rescued us, but when Brad got arrested he got out of the police grip, pull out a gun & shot him," I explained.

"Don't worry, we're going to be at the hospital soon, sir," he said.

"Please call me, Adam."

"Okay, Adam," he said. "Is he your boyfriend?" he asked.

"Yes," I answered.

"Okay, I just needed to know that," he said.

We drove for another minute, when the vehicle stopped & the doors open. They got Tommy off the ambulance & headed for the emergency room. I went to the front desk. "How may I help you?" the desk lady asked.

"My boyfriend, got shot & he's in the emergency room," I answered.

"And what's your boyfriend's name?" she asked.

"Tommy. Tommy Joe Ratliff," I answered.

"Okay, sir the doctor will be here in a minute. Please, wait in the waiting room, what's your name?" she asked.

"Adam Lambert," I answered.

"The doctor will be here in a few minutes."

"Thank you," I went to sit down. I sat down & waited what seemed like forever. I see the door open & Ashley comes through the door.

"Adam," she walked up to me. "Where's Tommy?" she asked.

"In the emergency room," I answered.

"Is he okay?" she asked.

"I don't know, yet," I answered. She sat next to me.

"Adam Lambert," I heard my name.

"That's me," I stood up & walked to the doctor.

"I'm Dr. Smith. Are you here for Mr. Ratliff?" he asked.

"Yes," I answered. "Is he okay?" I asked.

"Yes, he is," I let out a sigh of relief. "He's resting right now. Follow me," I followed him to a room where I see Tommy in bed. I see him hooked up to machines, I see his pale skin & his shut eyes, it breaks my heart. "He had a bullet near his heart, if that bullet came any closer. He would've died, he's lucky, he did loose a lot of blood," he explained to me.

"Maybe, I can give him some of mine," I suggested.

"I'm afraid not, he lost about 5 pints. It would take awhile for you to build up again."

"If, it's to save Tommy, I'll do it," I said.

"What's your blood type?"

"AB positive," I answered.

He checked his clipboard, "That's Tommy's blood type," he said.

"Can I?" I asked.

"If you want to," I nodded. A nurse came in with a tube & a needle. She inserted one of the needles into Tommy's arm. I rolled up my sleeve, she rubbed alcohol on my arm & inserted the needle into my skin. I watch as the blood flowed through the tube & into Tommy's vien. About 5 minutes, I gave 5 pints to Tommy. I got up, but I fell, Ashley caught me.

"Adam, please sit down," she pulled up a chair for me. I sat down.

"I can see that you love this man," Dr. Smith said.

"I do. He's my everything," I said.

"He'll be fine, Adam," he placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Thank you, Dr. Smith," I said.

"You may stay as long as you want. Notify a nurse, first," and he left.

I look back at Tommy sleeping body. It should've been me, not him. "Adam, he's going to be fine," Ashley reassured me.

"It should be me, in the hospital, not Tommy," I held Tommy's hand.

"He's gonna be fine, Adam, the doctor said."

"I hope he wakes up soon."

"Want me to leave you alone?" she asked.

"Yes," I said.

She kissed my cheek, "I'll be back, tomorrow, okay," I nodded. She left.

"It should've been me, Tommy, not you. This is all my fault. I can't stand seeing you like this. I'll be here when you wake up, okay," I kissed his hand, "I need you to stay strong, for us. I promise I won't leave you."