17/ Everything Will Be Alright

"Hey, can I come in?" FP carefully poked his head around the door of apartment 4B, his eyes meeting Alice's.

It was late already— he was even dressed in his pajamas since he had almost gone to bed. However, he didn't want to go to sleep without checking up on her.

"Always." Alice smiled at him.

She had been sitting on the couch, reading a book in an old t-shirt and sweatpants, but she wasn't even bothered with how she looked.

"Sorry to barge in this late..." FP excused himself a little awkwardly as he walked over to her and took the seat next to her on the couch.

"I wanted to check up with you, see how you are doing." He smiled softly and folded his hands together.

It had only been a day since Polly had confessed that she was pregnant, but with being at the construction site working over hours, it meant that he hadn't had the time to see how they were all doing today.

"That's sweet. Thanks. I appreciate that a lot." Alice smiled gratefully.

She wasn't really sure how she was doing, but that he had taken the time to come to her was warming her heart.

"You'd do the same for me." FP smiled back.

He was right, she had done the same for him before. The last time she did had even resulted in their passionate filled first kiss.

"Would you like some tea?" She offered, as she was about to make some for herself anyway.

"Sounds good."

He waited until she was done making the hot beverage for them. FP gladly accepted the cup of tea and scooted a little bit more to the corner of the couch to make himself comfortable.

As if it was natural, Alice came his way and cuddled up to his side, pulling her feet onto the couch. The arm that had been resting on the back of the sofa, he now threw around her, his fingertips grazing her upper arm.

And though it was an unusual position for two people who weren't dating, it felt right. She needed comfort, and he was more than willing to give that to her. Like it was meant to be this way.

"So, how do you feel about becoming a grandmother?" He finally asked, after being cuddled up the couch for several minutes.

Alice sighed quietly. "I'm a little scared, and I feel so bad that I do." Her cheeks flushed a little, as she confessed her honest feelings.

"Hey, that is completely natural. That doesn't mean you aren't supporting your daughter." FP reminded her softly, his fingers still absentmindedly stroking her arm as his gaze was fixated on her.

"In a few years a kid will call me granny." Alice grinned slightly and let out a chuckle as if she couldn't even believe it herself.

"Yeah, that's a little weird. I am sure you will smother your grandchild." FP laughed with her.

Knowing Alice, she'd do anything to make that kid feel happy. She already did with her own, and he was certain that wouldn't change for the next generation.

"Oh, without a doubt." She grinned mischievously, and was grateful that he had taken her mind of things for a little bit.

"How's Polly doing now? Is she feeling better?" FP asked, genuinely interested in the girl's well-being. Alice looked up at him now and rose her head a little from his chest.

"She was really upset with Hal, but I think the idea of becoming a mother has settled a bit more. She is confident she wants to keep it." She explained, a small smile on her lips.