Twenty-Two

They didn't have time to waste. Tony, Bruce, and Rocket worked on creating a gauntlet to hold the stones, Steve changed into one of his former Captain America suits; wanting to be prepared for anything. Plus, Bucky always commented on how the suits complimented his ass, and Steve wanted to look good for him. It had been five -- no, six. Six years now, since Steve had last seen Bucky. And since the beard was gone, he needed to make up for it somehow.

A knock at his door startled him and he took one final glance at his reflection before crossing his room to answer the door. Cassie stood there, frustration ebbed off her and Steve asked, "Everything okay?"

"The gauntlet's ready," Cassie answered instead, crossing her arms.

"So, why aren't you happier?" Steve questioned, following her down the hallway.

"I'm happy."

Steve good-humoredly scoffed, "Might wanna tell that to your face."

That startled a laugh out of her, and Steve's shoulders eased. Sighing, Cassie tucked her hair behind her ear and confessed, "I'm not allowed in there when... you know..."

"That's for your protection," Steve easily assured.

"I'm not a child," Cassie huffed, rolling her eyes.

Steve shook his head and reiterated, "It's not because of your age. It's because that thing could blow up for all we know, and we want to make sure that nothing happens to you. Hell, if Bucky was here, I'd make sure that he stayed out of there, too."

Although Steve could see that he was getting the point across, Cassie still argued, "I should be in there."

"When you're officially part of the Avengers, I want you to remember this moment," Steve teased, pausing at the hallway crossroads. Before heading in the direction towards the lab, he said, "For the record, you're going to make a great team member."

"You think?" Cassie asked, a sparkle in her eyes at the compliment.

"That's why I said it," Steve smirked, parting and walking in the opposite direction of her, all the while knowing to his very core that she'd be an amazing member. With her determination alone, she'd be a major asset. And he had no doubt that she'd make all of them proud.

Arriving in the lab, he found that his teammates were surrounding a table. Joining them, he gazed upon the gauntlet. It caused Steve's heart to twitch, as though it belonged just a little more to the right, closer to the gauntlet.

"Question is," Rocket started, "Who's gonna snap their freaking fingers?"

"I'll do it," Thor readily volunteered.

"Excuse me?" Scott asked, looking worried.

Sure, Thor wasn't drunk off his ass, but Steve wasn't sure if he was in the right headspace. As awful as that made Steve feel to admit.

"It's okay," Thor assured, reaching for the gauntlet.

Blocking him, Steve stood directly between the gauntlet and Thor. Holding his hand up, "We haven't decided who's gonna put that on yet."

"We're just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?" Thor asked, not wanting to wait any longer.

Scott conceded, "We should at least discuss it."

"No, no," Thor shook his head, trying to walk around Steve and the other men to get at it, "Sitting here staring at that thing is not gonna bring everybody back. I'm the strongest Avenger, okay? So, this responsibility falls upon me. It's my duty."