PART TWO

Two weeks earlier...
"Oh baby, it's so beautiful! She'll love it," His mother squealed when he showed her the ring. He had gone for a simple, yet exquisite emerald cut, diamond engagement ring and hoped Tina would like it.
"You really think so mum?" He asked with excitement.
"Of course son," Mrs Williams answered, nodding her head.
"My baby, you're all grown up now," she added, the pride evident in her voice.
Ben smiled and hugged his mother. He loved this woman! She had raised him with so much values and he would always be grateful for that.
Being an only child of wealthy parents, he had been spoiled silly while growing up. But amidst all of that, his parents had thought him so much about life and how to be a good man.
He considered himself very lucky to be their son and he was going to raise his kids the same way they had raised him.
"When will you propose?" His mother asked, bringing him back to the present.
"In two weeks, on the 20th. I've already prepared everything and I'm so elated mum," He rambled excitedly, suppressing the urge to stand and break into a waltz.
His mother laughed and pinched his cheeks fondly.
"I'm happy for you son. Please call me as soon as she says yes, I wouldn't want to die of anxiety."
"You'll be the first person I'll call mother," Ben replied and hugged her once more.
*****
And now...
Ben woke up to the loud chimes of his cellphone the next morning. He sat up looked around, trying to get hold of his surroundings and realized he was in his bedroom. He had no idea how he made it home from the bar or how he even managed to get to his bed. Last night was a blur and he only remembered heading straight to a bar after what transpired with Tina. The phone rang again, each chime echoing in his head.
"Ouch!" He exclaimed, clutching his head in pain. This was the worst headache he had ever had in his entire life. Of course it had to be, as he had never drunk so much alcohol before. He didn't even like to drink but yesterday, he had been in dire need of something to dull the pain even if it was temporary and alcohol was what he settled on.
He finally picked up the phone on the third ring without checking who the caller was.
"Hello," He said gruffly.
"Benjamin Ugochukwu Williams, do you want to kill me?!" His mother screamed from the other end of the line.
"Oh, it's you mum. Good morning ma," he replied.
"Of course it's me, I hope I didn't wake you up?" She asked and without waiting for him to answer, she continued "Even if I woke you up, it doesn't matter. It's your fault I had to call you so early in the morning. You promised to call last night!"
"Mum, I-" Ben stooped for a moment, trying to figure out how best to break the news to his mother. Yesterday was the 20th and he had set everything up perfectly. Tina was supposed to meet him at the restaurant by 8pm and then everything would play out nicely but she had shown up at his house instead. She had gone straight to the room without so much as a hello to pick up the few belongings she always kept at his place.
He was so excited that he didn't pay attention to what she was doing and pretended to be occupied by reading a book just so he wouldn't give himself away. It wasn't until Tina started talking that his excitement vanished.
"You what?" His mother asked impatiently.
"Please don't tell me you forgot yesterday was the 20th Benjamin. I did not raise a forgetful son."
"I didn't forget mum, Tina broke up with me yesterday," Ben blurted.
She went silent. He knew she was trying to process the news and that the questions would come in three.. two...one.
"What do you mean she broke up with you? What happened? How? Why? When? What?" She asked all at once.
"Mum-"
"You know what? This isn't something we can discuss over the phone. I'm coming over." She said and the line went dead.