PART EIGHT

The weekend passed by quickly and very soon, it was Monday and Viv had to start attending work meetings. After his dad went back to New York, she had spent quality time with Ben and they had so much fun together. The one place they hadn't gone was the club and it wasn't for lack of trying. Ben had refused to go to the club with her and said he'd rather go somewhere else.
"I can't go to the club with my mother!" Ben had exclaimed when she brought it up.
"It's just for one night, let's just go drink and loosen up a little. I'm going to dance alone and you can look for people to dance with," Viv had continued, hoping he would change his mind.
"Absolutely not mum," Ben said with a tone suggesting she drop it.
"Alright then, I guess we'll just watch movies at home," Viv said, sounding defeated.
"Yes please. That would be much better." Ben said with a sigh of relief.
On Tuesday afternoon, Viv got a call from the office in Nigeria about something that needed her urgent attention. She didn't want to leave Ben alone in Malibu but she couldn't leave her company unattended either. So she told him about the call and that she had to go home.
"Oh, that's fine mum. You can go. I'll stay for a few weeks more and then I'll join you."
"Are you sure?" Viv asked, worry etched on her face.
"Yes mum, I need some alone time anyway. I'll just clear my head here and come back."
"Okay then."
Viv booked the next flight to Nigeria which was in 7 hours. When she was ready to go, Ben drove her to the airport and they said their goodbyes.
"Are you sure you'll be okay baby?"
"Yes mum. Don't be such a mother hen. Please call me when you get home,"Ben said with a laugh.
"Okay okay," Viv said, gave him a peck and turned to go catch her flight.
*******
Three weeks passed in quick succession after his mother left. Ben spent most of his days at the beach or just staying indoors. It had taken a week of begging but Uche had finally come around and they talked whenever there was a chance to. He had told Uche about Isabel and their talk on the beach during one of their phone conversations.
"Please tell me you got her number," Uche said when he was done telling the story.
"I forgot to get her number, I just called her an Uber. I was more concerned on getting her home," Ben said.
Uche gave an exasperated sigh and then said "Oh Benjamin, you frustrate me."
"She was drunk and going through a difficult breakup, asking for her number would have been weird."
"Asking for her number is different from asking her to go to a hotel with you or something. It's just a way to be friends at least," Uche said.
"You're right but I didn't think of it like that at the time," Ben said and then continued, "I've been to the beach a number of times but I've not run into her since that day."
"Well, the only detail you know is her first name so finding her will be difficult. If you're meant to run each other again, you would."
"Yeah, I wish I could find her though. It would be nice to have her as a friend. I should have gotten her number."
"No shit Sherlock," Uche said sarcastically.
They had talked about work and then ended the call afterwards. Ben decided it was time to get back to Nigeria and work. He had been away long enough and he was sure a pile of work waiting for him. That was a good thing, he thought. Diving into work would keep his mind occupied and then he wouldn't think of Tina too much. Having come to a conclusion, he picked up his phone and booked a flight to Nigeria. It was time to resume his life, and maybe face his fears.