PART SIX

The 36-minute drive to Malibu from the airport was filled with laughter, mostly coming from his parents. Ben, who sat in the front passenger seat looked back at his parents, who were acting like teenagers. He wondered how they had been married for almost 30 years and still couldn't keep their hands off each other.
"How's work Ben?" Richard asked when he could finally manage to take his eyes away from his wife.
"Dad, before I'm done answering this question, your attention will be back to mum." Ben answered with an eye roll and then continued, "I shouldn't have come on this trip. Feels like I'm gonna be the third wheel in an extremely cringe-worthy honeymoon."
His parents laughed and then his mother cleared her throat.
"Alright. We're sorry. We'll behave," She said apologetically.
"Don't be such a sourpuss Benjamin. Tell me how you've been and how work is going,"Richard said, his voice sounding more serious.
Ben laughed at his father's obvious effort to sound serious and glanced at him before replying.
"Work has been good dad. You know, same old stuff. It's your company, you know how it is. By the way, Lilian from HR is engaged."
"Really?! Wasn't she saying she was done with men a while ago?" Richard asked incredulously.
"She was. Apparently, she has now found THE ONE."
"Is that the Lilian you told me about who got her heart broken by some man?" Viv asked her husband.
"Yes honey, the very same one," Richard said and then burst into laughter and everyone including the driver joined in.
"I can't believe it. I'm happy for her though. I'm glad she realized that not every man is an asshole."
"Indeed," Viv said and smiled.
*****
By the time they got to their home in Malibu, it was already evening. Ben excitedly jumped out of the car and breathed in the air deeply, he was home! This house, overlooking the beach held so many fond memories and he was glad to be back. He loved Nigeria and its people but sometimes he felt out of place. When they first relocated 10 years ago, he had found it difficult to make friends and after a while, he had given up completely. Then he met Uchenna and things became much better. Uche was his brother from another mother and they were like two peas in a pod. They were basically the same person in two bodies. He hadn't spoken to Uche since the Tina incident and he knew he'd get an earful later. He'd call him tomorrow and grovel if he had to. He knew he would be forgiven easily because Uche wasn't hard to please.
He went into the house after his parents and couldn't wait to get to his room. The house was always clean even though nobody lived there. His dad had hired a housekeeper who came in to clean once in a while in case the family ever decided to come for a visit. Even though it wasn't really necessary, the elderly woman had needed the job and his dad obliged.
"I'm tired mum, I'm going to head upstairs first," Ben said, yawning widely.
"Alright son, sleep well," Richard said and patted him on the back.
"Goodnight baby," said Viv and gave him a peck on the cheek.
"Goodnight," Ben said and headed for his bedroom.
He took a quick shower, plopped down on his bed and was asleep in no time.
*****
The next day, Ben woke up to the sound of a knock on his bedroom door. It took him a few minutes to recognize his surroundings and when he did, he realized he was in Malibu. A quick look at the watch on his nightstand told him it was 3p.m in the afternoon.
"Come in!" He shouted.
Vivian opened the door and peeped in before entering fully.
"Hey honey, are you okay? You slept for so long. I didn't want to wake you up but your father insisted," She said.
"I'm fine mum, just tired. I can't believe I slept for this long though."
"It's alright, you were tired. Come down and eat when you've freshened up."
"Okay mum."
"Your father is going back to New York tomorrow. You don't mind me hanging out with him today right?"
"Of course not mum, I need you two lovebirds to go have fun. I'll just drive around town and see if some of my old friends still live around here."
"Alright then. We'll be back as soon as possible."
"Alright mum."
"Before I forget, I told your father about you and Tina last night. I don't think I've ever seen him that sad before," Viv said.
Ben didn't know what to say and just smiled.
"Anyway, come down and eat something," Viv said and headed for the door.
"Yes ma'am," Ben replied and went into the bathroom.