Chapter 9: How can I leave it behind?

Melody got up early, at 7 p.m. When she woke up she didn't felt any happiness instead she felt as some part of her was missing. She still couldn't believe that her parents were dead. She went inside the washroom and when she saw the mirror she got reminded of the time. When she couldn't brush her teeth properly and her mother would be cleaning them as she would sulk.

Melody wanted to cry again but she held it in and washed her face. Even when she got dressed she still didn't feel any better. For few minutes Melody just stood by the curtains looking outside then she went down stairs. When she came down and saw the sofa. She remembered the time when she didn't want to drink medicine and would run round around the dining table while her mother would be chasing her and her father would be complaining.

All her memories would come to her mind. When her father would save her from her mother's scold. When they would go out to eat outside. When she would be asleep and her parents would kiss her forehead. All these happy memories turned out to be a scar.

Melody then went out to the backyard. When she started to walk on the grass she heard the wind blow and started to remember the times when her father would give her a piggy back ride, when she started school how happy her mother was, when she would cry and beg for a little sister but her mother would say one child is enough, when her father and she would laugh behind her mother, when she got bullied and her mother say to fight for yourself and just forget things, when her father would go for a business trip and she would cry as her mother would comfort her, when they'd all laugh together and then she got a flashback of when her mother said 'you'll miss it when we're gone'. Melody started to cry more and said, "you were right I miss it a lot since you're gone".

Melody would keep on sobbing. Her aunt had just woken up and when she came down stairs; she saw Melody crying in the yard. For a few second, she could just stare at her sadly then she came forward to her and rubbed her hair gently.

Melody suddenly looked at her and wiped her tears. She didn't know what to say so she stood up. Her aunt stared at her and said, "would you like to see your home?". Melody looked at her aunt and nodded; tears started to fall down on her cheek. "But first the two of us would have breakfast and we'd change and then we'd go, Hm? You'd also have to promise to handle yourself while we visit" her aunt said as she held her in her arms. Melody nodded.

They did as they said and got in the car. When they sat inside, Melody looked at her aunt's mansion. "Won't uncle and Adrien worry?" she asked. "I'll call them later" she answered. They set out on their way to her house. Melody could see the dawn and the dark and light blue sky. 'It's the first time the start of the day makes me feel sad' she thought.

They reached her house and Melody could see the door she used to open for her parents. Her aunt clicked the seat belt and looked at Melody "do you want to go alone?" she asked. Melody looked at her and then turned her head straight. Her aunt gave a small smile and took out a key; she handed it over to her and said, "go on". Melody took the key and looked at her then she got out of the car. She opened the small front gate and walked towards the door. She hesitated as she brought the key closer to the lock and finally got the courage to open it up.

When she opened the door, and went inside she could only feel sadness. She went to the living room and was astonished, she was hearing voices. She would look here and there but she couldn't find anyone. When she turned back she saw a little girl walking towards her parents happily; and her parents held her close. Melody realized it was her. Tears started to fall down 'why, why, why do I still feel like my chest is heavy even after crying so much. Why am I paralyzed to see my past again and again. Why can't I just let it go. Why can't I forget it'

"Melody! Stop hugging me while I sleep!" Melody heard another voice from upstairs. She hurriedly ran upstairs and saw a mirage of her hugging her mother as they slept. "But I'm scared" she said in a scared voice. "There are no such things as ghost!" her mother said as she turned around. "But mama you look like a ghost" she said in a frightened voice as her father chuckled. Melody began to laugh and also couldn't stop crying. She fell on her knees and started to cry.

She then wiped her tears as she spotted a picture on a side table. She got up and went towards it. It was a photo frame of her with her parents. She took it and smiled; as she hugged it she said "Thank you"

She came outside and locked the door. Her aunt saw her coming with something. When Melody sat inside; her aunt saw the picture and commented "it's a beautiful picture". Melody looked at the photo with a sweet smile and nodded.

When they went back they saw Adrien and his father waiting. "Where were the both of you? Don't we have to go visit their graves" his father said. "Huh?" the both of them questioned. Now they were on their way to visit Melody's parents grave. They reached the grave yard and they went inside. Basically, Melody's only relative was her aunt. Her father was the only son of his parents and her grandparents of both sides died when she was got at the age of five and seven.

She couldn't think in this less time her parent's graves would get ready. Melody could only look at their graves and not move. Her aunt then gently gave Melody a slight push; Melody turned to her and she gave her a nod. At first Melody wondered what she meant. Then she got a glimpse of a bouquet  in her hands. She then moved forward and put it on their graves. They prayed for them for a while then her aunt called out to her, "Melody, let's go home".

'Mom, Dad; thank you for everything. For the love and happiness, you gave me, I'll make sure to be happy in my life and give happiness to the people around me. I'll be your good "daughter"'