Chapter 8: What Awaited Us

Melody and her parents were getting ready to go to her aunt's house. "Hurry up Melody!" her mother called out. 

Her father came in from the door, "it's raining outside". 

"What?" Melody's mother looked out of the window. 

"Well, guess we have to manage"

Just when Melody came down stairs, they departed.

When they stopped at the gate Melody was surprised and a bit jealous as always. The gate was huge and the mansion was huge itself. When her mother got off from the car and hugged her sister. Melody thought in her head 'ah, how did they make this mansion in the first place. It makes hard to move my head and why in the world do I have to meet him' she looked at a boy who was his cousin. 'Hm, he's going to be bossy as always. Who does he think he is' she was getting so irritated that it showed on her face. "Melody get off and greet your aunt and uncle" her father said. The both got off and met with their relatives. Her father was meeting them with a smile. Melody too greeted her aunt and uncle with innocence and when she took a glimpse at 'him' she thought in a heavy voice 'Huh. So, you won't even greet me. Always! Why do I have to do this tiring job!'. Melody came near him and Adrien felt a strong presence but when she came near him; in a second! She turned into an angel and greeted him with her sparkly smile just the way how she did with Eric but he never showed any emotion when she greeted him. He closed his eyes for a moment and with a spark and thunder in his tone he said, "Hello to you too". Melody turned to stone; Adrien simply past aside her and Melody could only look at his back with 'un believable' written on her face. Then Melody's parents left soon after that as they patted her on the head and whispered to be a good girl.

Her aunt was beautiful, she was tall, she had dark Auburn hair and beautiful purple eyes and best of all she was a social person who liked to be nice to people. Basically, she was her mother's younger sister. Right when her parents left she changed her generous and noble talking way and said, "Now my niece and I would have a good time!". Melody looked tense but in the same time a bit excited. She had changed a lot since she met Eric. Now, the problem was she felt a fire from her back and knew it was Adrien angrily looking at her. At first, she was scared on what to do but then she thought that it was a perfect chance to give him a lesson. So, "Yes! We'll have a great time" she said cheerfully. "Seems more like a waste of time to me" Adrien said as he set his glasses. He was a sensible person with a mixture of dark-brown hair. Melody got tensed while her aunt got furious. She angrily came towards her son and said, "What did you just say". In a second! Adrien was on the ground and both his mother and Melody went inside the mansion. Adrien was furious and just then his father patted his shoulder and said "my boy, what you just saw was a glimpse today. You'll know the real deal when you'll get married" Adrien looked at his father with a confused face "just remember for this is a piece of advice from me. Women are scarier than ghosts" his father completed. Now Adrien had a tense reaction on what was going on.

Melody spent good time with her aunt and all of them enjoyed till evening and then.

The phone rang while Melody was sitting on the sofa. Her aunt picked it up and answered the call. "Do you know about David Henderson?" the person on the phone asked. "Yes, I'm his wife's sister" her aunt replied. "I see" the person on the phone took a long pause and then said, "they have been in an accident". Her aunt was shocked "H-how!" she exclaimed. "Because of the drizzling rain when they took a turn their car fell into the deep ditch. They had a lot of blood loss. We'd like you to come to our hospital immediately because their condition is very serious" the person on the phone said. "Yes, I understand. Would you please tell me which hospital is this" her aunt asked. The person told her all the details.

When she hung the phone. Her husband asked about her worry. When she told him what happened. He was deeply shocked and the thing about which she was more worried was of what she would tell Melody.

"Get the car out and I'll bring Melody in few minutes" she said. Then she went to Melody sat near her and said "Melody, look don't worry everything would be fine" Melody was confused about what her aunt was saying "you see, we must go to the hospital, because...because your parents have been in an accident. Melody was shocked. She couldn't believe what her aunt had just said.

Her aunt hugged her and patted saying "they'd be alright". They hurriedly got into the car but the car had an awkward silence. Melody kept on rubbing her hands hard while looking outside the window. Her eyes were teary and she just couldn't hold them in any longer. Looking at that even Adrien didn't know how he should act. Her memories with her family kept on coming to her and she kept on praying and praying that her parents would be alright.

When they reached the hospital. They got out of the car fast and went inside to the reception.

Over there her uncle asked, "excuse me, are there any patients by David Henderson?". The receptionist asked them to let her check and told them where they were kept.

Her aunt, Adrien and Melody waited as her uncle went to get a doctor and give a payment. Melody couldn't help but cry because she didn't know how were her parents doing? Would they be okay? I hope their safe. Would I be able to see them? All sorts of questions were in her mind.

She herself saw her parents being taken to the emergency ward. She was about to lose all hope but still she wished really hard that her parents should be okay. Even her aunt was crying but she tried to hold it in because she had to be strong for her niece.

Many hours went by and it was 2 p.m. When finally, the doctors came out. Only her uncle heard the news because no one was prepared to know what had happened. When he heard what the doctors said he looked upset. Melody still...still wished to hold on. Her uncle talked to the doctors and they made their way to the three people. When they arrived. They first looked at them and then they spotted Melody. "Is this cute little girl their daughter?" the doctor said with a smile. "Yes" her aunt replied.

The doctor kneeled; held Melody's shoulders and for a minute averted his eyes. "You know that your parents loved you and they would always love you no matter what" the doctor said. Melody's tears started to fall down her cheeks even though she tried to hold them. Her throat felt pain. Her mind felt stress. Her eyes were out of her control and her emotions were taking over her bit by bit.

The doctor wiped her tears and said, "I'm sorry but they......are......dead". Melody couldn't believe herself. Her parents were gone. She knew this day had to come but this soon. The feeling of never seeing her parents again, never hearing their voices, never seeing their smiles, never hearing their scolding, never hearing their lame jokes, never eating their homemade food, never being able to sit with them, never being able to talk to them, never being able to come crying to them, never being able to complain to them, never having to have their love shelter her and never have someone to say, 'welcome back home' with great happiness. The only thing she had was to say, 'goodbye' to them unwillingly as she would chase them but in the end, they would vanish.

Right that moment Melody cried and cried. She cried all the anxiety all the feelings she kept inside her. Having a thought in her head 'I can't hold on any longer. I won't be able to breathe'. She ran crying outside the hospital. Even when her aunt wanted to follow her. Her uncle held her hand because he knew she needed this time alone.

Melody went out to the ground and saw the sky filled with stars and then............she....shouted. Loud again and again. "Why, why did you leave me. I'm all alone now, all alone. Come back! Come back" she said these things loudly and gently as she would fall on her knees and cry. For hours and hours she sat there crying when finally her aunt came and said, "Melody let's go back". Melody gently wiped her tears and when she turned around. Her aunt gasped lightly and hugged her saying "I'm sorry" again and again. The both of them started to cry.

They then sat in the car and started to head their way home. Melody only looked outside the window and many times her uncle said things to cheer her up but she couldn't get any better.

They then reached home and went to their rooms. As Melody laid on the bed. She again started to cry missing her parents.

"I feel sorry for her" her aunt said. "That's obvious since she's just a child. Just yesterday she was happy and today. Anyways we'll make preparations for their grave. Also for their funeral" said her uncle sadly. "I hope she gets better" her aunt said.