Cold

Chapter Thirteen

We talked almost every day. He told me all about his family, his annoying cousins, his whole day. It was like I was there with him. And in return, I told him about my day. We know each other, so why am I nervous to see him all of a sudden? We've only been apart for like three weeks.

I've had a haircut, my hair is slightly shorter now. A bit more flat, nothing like the spikes I had in high school. Maybe it's for the best.

I went to work, hung out with Scott and his girlfriend and I did some college work. Actually kind of proud of myself for getting so organised. Even if my sleeping schedule got fucked in the meantime.

I could fall asleep right now but when I walk into my dorm room, Winston is already there waiting to greet me.

"Happy new year?" he says uncertainly. We've already said that to each other over the phone as we decided to stay up together. Winston fell asleep halfway through our conversation and then he called the next morning to apologise.

I smile at him and then I yawn immediately after. Winston raises an eyebrow and he sits down on his bed.

"Jesus, we had three weeks off and you still didn't get any sleep?" he asks and I laugh. I was just so busy with everything. Busy trying to avoid Alex.

"Something like that," I say and I collapse face-first on my bed. I groan softly. "God I missed you," I say and Winston laughs. "Not you, the bed."

He rolls his eyes and grins. "Right," he says and then he looks down at his feet. "So was Alex's bed uncomfortable?"

"Just a bit," I answer and I chuckle lightly. I spent boxing day with Alex. Scott and Melanie were having some friends over so I went to meet Alex. We went to a party, I got fucked up, I slept over at his house and...

"Hmm," Winston says and he nods. I sigh softly and press my face into the mattress. I really did miss this bed.

"The fridge is empty," Winston reminds me. We- I mean, he emptied out our fridge before winter break so nothing would get spoiled. "If you're not tired we could go grocery shopping."

I am tired. Very tired. But I sit up and I rub my eyes. I sigh sleepily. "Give me five minutes and then we can go."

Winston grins and he stands up from his bed. "Great. I'll make a list."

I spend those five minutes telling myself to get out of bed while Winston scribbles and scribbles on that piece of paper. Do we really need that much food? Yeah, maybe we do. I sometimes forget how much I can eat.

"It's been seven minutes," Winston stands over me and I keep my eyes shut. I really should have taken the winter break to sleep.

"Seven more minutes," I mumble and Winston scoffs. He might be little but he wraps his arms around my chest and starts to drag me out of bed. I can't help but laugh when he actually manages to move my body and the top half of my body hangs over the bed.

"Okay okay. I'm going now. Jeez." Winston grins to himself satisfied that he's managed to get me out of bed. He let's go of me and I immediately hit my head on the flooring.

"Fuck, my bad," Winston says and he stands there with his hand covering his mouth. "Sorry."

I pretend to glare at him but he breaks out in a grin. "You're lucky we're friends," I say and his expression changes for a split second before he's back to smiling. I wouldn't let anyone else drop me on the floor like that.

I stand by the door and I put my shoes on without untying the laces. Winston is a bit more extra, he puts on his coat, his gloves, his hat and his scarf. I smile down at the ground.