Chapter Thirty Three

After all the tears had dried and the hugs were given, Can and Sanem both stood together, in front of their parents. " There is one more thing that we need to discuss," Can said, looking at Mevkibe and Nihat, " The wedding date." We would like it to be as soon as possible," he told them. They both looked at each other, with a doubtful look on their face. Sanem linked her arms in his, " I know you were not expecting this, but we would like for the wedding to take place within the next three weeks. Mevkibe shrieked, " What, that's impossible, and why would you expect that."  She  demanded to know. Nihat shook his head, " You're going to have to explain to us why it has to be that soon." He said. Aziz stepped up, " Nihat, Mevkibe, they have a very good reason to ask for something like this." Just hear them out." He said, pleading with them to understand. " I have received a very good job offer from a magazine I have worked for in the past, it's a shooting assignment in  Peru. I need to give them  my answer within the next few days and then we would be leaving in about a month." Both Mevkibe and Nihat tried to hide their tears, but it was no use. 

Sanem tried to comfort her mom , " So you will be leaving, going off to who knows where, with someone we barely know." Sanem it is completely out of the question." Mevkibe uttered, glaring at Can. Can quickly tried to defuse the situation, " Please trust me to take care of your daughter, I will see to it." Can stated, looking desperately at Mevkibe and Nihat. Mevkibe turned and stormed out of the room, with Sanem following her. Aziz took Nihat to the side, " My friend, this is their life, and they must live it, my son is a responsibility person, you don't have to worry about her safety. He will be her husband and she will be expected to follow him, be what may." He said softly and convincing to him. Nihat shook his head, " Can, how long would you and Sanem be gone." He asked, dreading to hear the answer. " Yes, sir, the assignment is for 2 months, but the possibility of it taking longer is always there, just because of error or weather delays, but we will come back as soon as the shoot is over." He assured him. Nihat extended his hand, " Fine, we will see what we can do about a wedding at this short notice." He said, shaking his hand. Aziz and Can exchanged looks of relief, as they shook hands. 

Sanem and Leila, we're trying to talk to their mother, as she hurried around in the kitchen, trying to look  busy. " Mom, please listen, it's only for a few months, then we will be back." She said with tears. Her mom refused to hear, closing off  her mind to the whole thing. Sanem stopped,          " Mom, we will have a wedding in 3 weeks, and I will go with him, that you will be sure of." I prefer the blessing of you both, but if not, I will hope that you will forgive me some day. I love him and intend to follow the direction of my husband." She stated, not wavering from her steely glare. Leila stepped in, " Mom, you have to let her go, with understanding, or you will regret it." She added. Nihat and Aziz walked in, along with Can, " Mevkibe, my dear, we must be good parents and except our children's decisions, they are grown now." He said, putting his arm around his wife's shoulders. " Can is a good, decent person and I trust him enough to give my daughter to, so we must allow them to live their life." Nihat said, hugging her to him tightly. She looked at him, she knew he had made the decision and she would have to agree, with him being the head of the house. She nodded her head to agree, reluctantly at first, but she knew he was right, letting his words touch her heart. Sanem smiled looking at Can, " So, we will be married in a timely manner, and we can make our plans for our travels, right." She said, barely able to contain herself. Can reached for her, hugging her, letting his heart be happy. His dad watched, he knew they would be happy, it was written all over their faces.

The rest of the evening was a turmoil of discussion, but to set the date was the most important thing. Three weeks would be hard, but if that's what it had to be, then they would make it work. Milihat would take care of all the beauty needs, such as hair and makeup, and the place would be as Sanem wanted, in the garden. Can agreed with all the plans, " Everything sounds great," he said, looking into her eyes. " So, three weeks from today, September 19th, do we all agree? He asked, holding his breath, looking at each member of their family. Everyone smiled and shook their heads, "Yes, it's agreed." Nihat said. " You may make your plans for your job." With the  evening over and the couple happy with the outcome, Aziz and Can knew it was time to call it a night. He pulled Can away from Sanem, and ushered him out the door, thanking Mevkibe for the delicious food and for her understanding. The drive home was silent, there was so much running around in Can's head he couldn't speak. His dad watched with amusement, aware of how he felt, but also how proud he was of his son. Can kept running the date over and over in his head, September 19th, he knew that would forever be, the best day of his life.

Sanem and Leila helped their mother clean the kitchen, with Mevkibe deep in thought. She knew her baby girl was now a woman, she was ready to follow the man she loved. But to her, she was still that clumsy little girl that had the big ideas of being a writer. She hoped she hadn't lost herself to be who Can wanted her to be. That was her story, she had left her home to follow Nihat, but against her fathers wishes. And his dreams, became her dreams, but she wouldn't have had it any other way, her heart was full of love, and it still was. Her thoughts made her smile, her daughters made her smile, her whole life made her smile, the only thing she regretted, was losing her father. She wouldn't put that burden on Sanem, not for loving a man that was good and loved her with all his heart. Her and Nihat lay in the bed, after all the cleaning was done, " Nihat, we have done the right thing, haven't we." She asked, staring at the ceiling, her heart breaking. He patted her hand, " Yes my love, we did what we had to do, the only thing we could do, if we wanted to keep our daughter." He stated.

Can still hadn't spoke since they left the Aydins' and Aziz was beginning to worry. They came in and Can went to pour a drink, " Would you like one dad?" He asked, almost in a daze. Aziz accepted his offer. Can took his drink and walked to the garden, and his dad followed. " Can, why are you so quiet, you haven't said a word since we left their house, are you second guessing yourself?" He asked. Can quickly looked at his dad, " No, nothing like that, not my love for her,....  I have promised to protect her and make her safe, but what if something happens, and I fail. We are going to another country, where it might be dangerous. How would I ever live if it did." He said, tears rimming his eyes. Aziz said, " Nothing could possibly happen to her with you by her side, believe that, I know you and you would do everything in your power to make her safe." These things come as instinct, and instinct comes from love." 

Can knew that,...he would protect her, love her and make sure nothing happened.....

He would give his life for her, if he had to.......anything for her, his love........