Chapter 23

In a different part of the city, far away from James' house Sebastian and Howard were hiding in the sewers. Sebastian loved hiding when he was a kid, his parents would always lose him. That meant, he knew where to hide in order for the others to not find him. After his mother's death he did not want to go back home. Him and Howard had decided to go in the sewers and hide there until the battle begun.
It was dark and smelled very bad in the sewers, like someone had died down there. "I am sure nobody will find us here" Howard whispered.
The two guys heard footsteps approaching them. "You are two idiots. I started searching for you minutes ago. Is this the best way that you could think?" Freya asked with annoyance.
Sebastian and Howard were like a ghost was talking to them. "Freya. You found us. How did you find us?" Sebastian asked.
Freya had the 'seriously now' look on her face. "We came down there after our first date. Not a very romantic place actually. But it worked out"
Howard stared at Sebastian dumfounded. "Are you serious? Your best hiding spot is the first place Freya could think of?" he exasperated.
Sebastian raised his hands.
Freya rolled her eyes. "That's not the point."
"Then what is the point? Why you came here Freya?" Howard asked.
Freya frowned and with a serious voice she said, "You are not going to sacrifice yourselves. I have to do it. Go back to James' house. Now"
For the first time they did not listen to Freya. They did not move. "No Freya. You are not getting your way this time. I am going to be sacrificed. You and Howard will go to James' house. I don't want you to get hurt." Sebastian said and held Freya's hand.
Freya stared at him with disgust. "Just because you are my boyfriend doesn't mean you have to tell me that I am vulnerable."
Sebastian's eyes widened "You are not vulnerable. You are capable and brave enough to get yourself killed or sacrificed. I've never said in my entire life that you are vulnerable"
Freya was serious. "Then tell me a reason why I shouldn't do it?". He did not reply. "No, tell me. I want to hear it. Because I am a woman. Do you have to do it to satisfy your ego? Tell me. I can take it."
Sebastian lowered his eyes. He had a sorrowful look on his face.
"What? Why shouldn't I do it?" Freya repeated herself.
Sebastian looked up to her. "Without me in the picture, everything will be better for you"
Freya was staring confused at him. Same for Howard. "What is that supposed to mean? If you want to say something, say it. We don't have time for hidden meanings." Freya said.
Sebastian had a bitter look on his face. "I am not blind Freya. I can see how you stare at Howard"
Freya turned pink. "No, I like you Seb. A lot. It's not what you think"
Sebastian smiled with sadness in his eyes. "But you like him more. It is okay. You cannot always win in life. We are teenagers. That is how relationships work. I knew we would not last. Besides, you have said it yourself. We were experimenting. It's nothing serious."
Freya felt horrible. "You are being an idiot. I like you, Sebastian. You are my boyfriend."
"I know that you like me Freya. But you love Howard. Ever since you came back, you two have not taken off your eyes from one another. And I am sure that something has happened between the two of you. I was in Juvy, it was easier for you to do your "job" without getting caught"
"That's bullsh*t! I would never do anything like that to you. You can't use your doubts for our relationship as an excuse for your death wishes!" Freya cried.
"It's not bullsh*t Freya! It is the truth. Do you know what truth is? It's something you've never used with me" Sebastian shouted.
Neither Freya nor Howard replied to that. "I am not as dumb as you think. I may not be a genius but at least I can read the signs of the universe." He replied to himself.
Freya nodded in disapprove. "I can't believe you. You are trying to use guilt, so you get your way. Screw yourself, Sebastian. You guys are best friends. I do not like either of you. You are being so immature. After all, I've been through..." Freya started lecturing them.
Sebastian rolled his eyes "Cut the crap Freya. You are not the only one with a shitty life. There are other people who are suffering more!"
Howard did not want to take part in their fight although he was the reason, they were having that talk.
Freya slapped Sebastian. "I was raped and abused my whole life. I thought they killed my family and I could not come back to you. I took my life away. You do not know what I have been through. You do not how desperate you have to be to want to take away your life. My whole life is a battlefield. If you are so immature to not understand it. I do not want you to be my boyfriend. You say cut the crap but my whole life is crap. You do not know! How would you know! You were not the one who found me in the bathroom crying ready to die. You were not the one who was going shopping with me. You have been a very shitty boyfriend to me. But this? Telling me to cut the crap? That's the worst thing you have ever done to me."
Sebastian did not dare to look Freya in the eye; "So, you're breaking up with me"
Freya held her head high "Yes. Yes I am". She did not regret a thing.
Sebastian turned at Howard's direction "Are you happy now Howard? Can you have the girl now?"
Freya gasped. "Have the girl? Do you think of me as your toy?"
Howard was even more angry than Freya "Why is it my fault? I have been watching you too fighting for the past 10 minutes. If Freya needs someone more compassionate, it is not my fault. And the girl? We are friends. Have I ever told you that I wanted to date Freya? I want to but I would never steal her from you. And if she wanted to date me instead of you, it's not my fault "
Sebastian was ready to start talking again but the earth started shaking. "Shit! The battle started" Freya said with panic.
The three teenagers looked at each other in the eye. They started running in different directions. One of them had to arrive at the Empire State Building before the other two did. But the real question is which one?"