↳ Bic - The Lake

The day I've been dreading for all month finally arrived

The mid-summer dance evaluation is when everyone will showcase what they've learned so far through a performance in front of the whole camp. It could be any genre.

The instructors decided who are the ones performing in a group and who are the ones performing alone. Since this is my first official evaluation, they told me to dance by myself. I have to hold my ground and prove to everybody that I belong to this camp.

But the wait is killing me. I'm performer number fifty-two and only eighteen had performed so far. I still have about three hours before my turn but I'm already shaking and sweating and my heart keeps throbbing against my rib cage as I watch individuals and groups perform on the stage one by one.

My roommate, Aecha's turn is coming up so she already left my side to go backstage a few minutes ago. She's performing in a group with the few friends I've already met and hang out with. If this isn't my first camp performance, I would've been dancing with them. Maybe next year, since final evaluations is strictly done individually.

The next person to perform was Seungmin. Everybody's eyes immediately glued to the stage. Of course all of us will be interested. He's one of the best dancers here, after all. One of the five dance princes, a royalty. All of them are to perform by themselves and he's the first one to come up the stage.

He chose an upbeat music and starting moving. I can't believe how clean he dances. It's not too aggressive nor too soft. It's just...right. He dances gracefully and powerfully at the same time.

I sat up straighter, so immersed on his every step. I wanted to go closer but I can't will myself to stand up and miss a single movement. The beat went faster and, for a second, I thought he's gonna trip on his own feet. I held my breath but, obviously, he didn't. It's almost impossible for him to mess up.

I found my feet tapping against the rough floor along with the rhythm as Seungmin moves with it, portraying the song like it's his, and his alone. Through my eyes, I think his body reached the point where it connects with the music until he fuse with it and becomes indistinguishable. He'd become one with it. Maybe he already did since he started. I couldn't tell. Every second of it is magnificent.

When he reached the end, everybody began clapping and hooting. I felt so overwhelmed. I've seen some of the princes dance during Sunday dance-offs but this feels different. Part of me was jealous of how good they are, like how can they even dance like that? But another part of is just amazed.

Seungmin went down the stage and I felt my nervousness again. That's another performance down which means it's one performance closer until my turn.

A few seconds later, someone sat on the empty chair beside me. "I'm looking forward to see your solo performance."

I turned to see Seungmin smirking at me. We don't get along very well and I don't really know why, except the fact that he can't get over me not being able to follow in class. For the record, I improved over the past couple of weeks. "I'd rather you not watch." I said. A group went up the stage now and started to get into position.