Prologue

A/N: This story takes place in an alternative World. Although circumstances may be similar to our world sometimes, it doesn't take place on 'Earth'.
Also, it's a ManxMan bdsm romance. So if you don't like that, hush hush. 
Enough blabbering now, let's get on with the story. I hope you guys enjoy it!

Lucius

I already know. I was forsaken by the Goddess. As a 35 year old beta male, I have no mate.

Since my 18th birthday, I anticipated the meeting with my mate. I knew he would be perfect for me. Like I would be for him.

I waited.

And waited.

When I got to the age of 22, people around me began to grow worried.

'It's not normal...'

'Why didn't he meet his mate already?'

'A good beta needs his mate.'

And rumors started surfacing.

I was also worried. However, I firmly believed my mate was somewhere out there.

It was not normal, but certainly not unusual if you look at werewolf history. It's said that generally, alphas and betas find their mates in their first two years of maturity. Since they were both leading roles in a pack, their mates had high importance in their leadership roles and skills.

However, it did happen sometimes that a beta's mate took their time and arrived after 3 or 4 years, especially in peaceful times. As for ordinary pack members, there weren't any apparent systems.

I also heard many stories of werewolves being mated to humans or even vampires. So I figured, maybe I wouldn't get anywhere by staying near the pack.

Maybe I had to go. Go and search for my mate.

And so I did.

I would go outside of my pack's territory 6 months every year. Basically, I was a rogue for about 6 months a year.

Fortunately my alpha understood my desire to find my mate and didn't shame me for my actions.

I would always depart in early March and be back in August, the latest in September. Of course, it's not like I can just completely discard my duty as a beta. So I was assigned to be a sort of 'ambassador' to communicate with not only neighboring, but also faraway packs. Partly also in hopes to find my mate there.

On my journeys, I'd always come across human cities and I'd always stay some days, to ensure I didn't miss the potential scent of my mate.

I must admit, it was quite a challenge in bigger cities. Since my sense of smell is quite restricted amidst all those odors.

I've actually come across a few vampires actually, who are known to be extremely secretive.

A lot of werewolves believe the tales that humans have spread about vampires, not realizing the hypocrisy of it. Them being coldblooded, repulsed by garlic(?) and stuff. When humans have done the same with werewolves.

To be fair, I was also one of them at the beginning. But after meeting several vampires along the years, my mindset changed. But not really because I'm especially open-minded. I just wanted to be the best for my future mate.

I felt like, if I had the right mindset, maybe the Goddess would finally send me my mate.

The years passed.

23.

24.

.

25.