Chapter 1

Lucius

It's that time of the year again. The time I dread the most every year.

Because it's when people around me find their happiness, their world. While I sit beside them to smile and congratulate.

I'm nearly 36 now. So I'm pretty convinced that I really have no mate at this point.

I fix my tie and straighten out my three-piece suit while looking at myself in the mirror.

I heard a knock on the door and went to open it. Alpha Cedric and his mate Amanda, were standing before me. He had his arm around her waist, and as they stood there they seemed like the perfect couple.

"You ready to go?" He asked me. He was a really huge guy, so most people had to rake their necks just to see him in the eyes. Thankfully, I was pretty close to his height and built, although he was quite a bit buffer than me.

"Never been more ready, let's go." I say and politely smile at them both.

Honestly, if I could, I wouldn't attend that Goddamned ball. But it's the duty of the leaders in the pack to oversee the process. Many can't control their urges when they first meet their mate and try to forcibly claim them. Which honestly, is a really bad start.

So to intervene in time, strong members have to be present, just in case.

There's also the reason to socialize with and maintain a good relationship with neighboring packs and their leaders.

The whole thing is and will always be a huge chore. Annoying and displeasing.

However, it's my duty and I will not be slacking.

As we're walking, I can see Alpha Cedric giving me a look that conveys the concern of a good friend.

"I'm alright, Cedric. You don't have to concern yourself with me. Just enjoy the evening." I lie and smile reassuringly.

I know he only means well. We've been friends since preschool and we've been through a lot together. But even he can't help me with my problem and it takes a toll on him. Since he's the Alpha, he wants his pack to flourish and the members to be happy.

But he can't even help his beta and best friend. If he didn't have Amanda to share his pain with, things would indeed be a lot more difficult.

"You know I can't not concern myself with it." He replied chuckling dryly.

"Then at least concern yourself less. Really, I'm alright." I repeat myself.

I quickly change the topic and say "Speaking of which, isn't Alina only some time away from reaching maturity? Shouldn't the most doting Father I know, be concerned about that?"

He immediately gave me a sour look.

"Don't remind me of that. My baby, she's nearly 17 already... I don't want anyone taking her away from me! That damn bastard! I don't know him yet, but I'll make sure that he treats her right even if I have to walk through hell for that!"

Haha, that's Cedric for you.

Amanda chuckled at his antics. Maybe her father was the same.

We continue chatting casually until we reach the door to the ballroom.

As the big doors open, I take in a deep breath.

Nothing. As I thought.

I quickly place the disappointment to the back of my mind and start fulfilling my duty as the beta of the Midnight Dusk Pack.