Marinus-1

The cold air stings your skin as you walk the streets of the community known as Four. It's not a crazy awesome name, but it's a name. They named it that because of their founders. There were four of them or something. You don't really care about their story.

The Sun is getting dangerously low. You want to have this finished up before it gets too deep into the night. It's already colder than it has been in years. You don't really want to know what it's like at night without something to break the wind. But you can't stop; you're close and can't wait until tomorrow. If you do, it's all over.

Unknown Man: Hey, Y/N!

The doctor of the community spots you. His name is Kiri, and to be honest, he's kind of weird. You don't have time for him, so you keep walking.

Kiri: Y/N, I know you heard me.

He catches up to you and trots alongside you.

You: Hi, Kiri.

You give him a fake smile.

Kiri: Did they work?

You: Well, if they do, I'll tell ya.

Kiri: I can whip you up some more real quick if you'd like.

You: We have plenty for now.

He's made some homemade pregnancy tests for you and Clem. You're still skeptical that they work, but every woman with a kid in this community says they do.

Kiri: Don't hesitate to ask me.

You: I won't.

Kiri: Is Clementine doing alright?

You: Yeah.

Kiri: How about that daughter of yours?

You: She's doing well, I hope.

Kiri: Word is, she came through town yesterday.

You: I assumed. That's why I'm here.

Kiri: Oh. She went down to the supply store if you're wondering.

You: That's where I was heading. Thank you.

Kiri: Did something happen?

You: If something did, it would be none of your business.

Kiri: Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you.

You: You didn't. I'm just saying. No, nothing's happened.

You stop in front of the store. Waiting for Kiri to leave you alone before you go in.

Kiri: I wish you luck on finding your daughter, and on the baby.

He's one of the few people that know you're trying for a baby, only because he gives you the homemade pregnancy tests. It's a small list that includes him, Ruby, Aj, Brooklyn, and Marina. It's a wonder you've been able to keep it to such a shortlist... You've been trying for five years, and it hasn't happened. Every time Clementine thinks she might be, it's a bust. You're scared that it'll never happen.

You: Thank you.

You smile and nod your head at him. He awkwardly bows and scurries away.

You start to undo your scarf to uncover your face. It's bound to be warm inside, so you shed a layer at the door and hang it at the entrance as you walk in.

Cashier: Ah, if it isn't Y/N himself. I've been expecting you.

You: Not surprised.

Bernard. It's a name; an over the top name, but a unique one. He's the only person you've ever met with it. He's a tall, bigger built guy with a bushy red beard and short copper hair. You think of leprechauns every time you see him.