Marinus-10

Marina

Dad... I can't stop thinking about him. Is he dead? Did I get him killed?... No, Brooklyn said they were trying to capture people, didn't she? Maybe there's a chance he's still alive. I hope he's still alive. But if he is, then what? Will they torture him? Of course, what else would they do?

I doubt anyone is coming from home right now. He probably wanted to get us both back there before we started attacking. He's expecting me to go back there now... But I can't leave him. What if he's dead by the time we come for him? I know it's stupid, but I'm going to help him.

Mom has always had these rules that I was to follow. They were rules she gave Aj when he was younger too. But Dad tacked one onto the end. He always said it was the most important one; it was longer than the others, which defeated the purpose of memorizing them easily. "If we're ever in a bind, and I tell you to do something, you do it, no questions asked. If I tell you to leave me behind, you leave me behind. You listen to me no matter what because your life is far more valuable than mine will ever be." He tells me those kinds of things often. It makes me think he doesn't care whether or not he lives... Even if he told me to run and not look back, I don't technically have to listen. Rules are meant to be broken.

Sure, I've caused a lot of problems in the past few hours, but I want to fix them. I want to make sure that he's ok. I came here wanting to prove myself, and now I have the opportunity... It isn't about me anymore, though. It's about Dad and making sure he lives. I don't care if he never lets me out of the walls again. I can't leave him to die or suffer without even trying to help. It was my fault he was taken after all. The guilt would kill me for not coming for him.

————————————————————————

It's night now. I've been on the run most of the day. They're hunting me, patrolling the streets. Earlier, I couldn't find any signs of life, but now they're everywhere. I really poked the hornet's nest. It's been hard to avoid them, and I almost got caught a few times. It's the first time I've been in a situation like this on my own. I don't really know what to do. I wish Mom, Dad, or Brooklyn were here with me; they would know exactly what to do.

I settled down near the twentieth floor of a skyscraper. I was terrified to go up one of these things, but it isn't that bad. I had to fight off some Walkers, but at least the floor isn't threatening to cave in while I'm on it. I have a fire going, and made sure to somewhat hide it so that no one from down below would easily spot it.

I look down at my left arm. I hadn't realized how bad it actually was until I had a breather a few hours ago. Three large spikes are sticking out of it, and a ton of splinters. I didn't want to rip the spikes out until I had time to actually fix it. If I tore one out and couldn't stop the bleeding, there would have been some problems.

I carefully take my clothes off until I'm left with only a t-shirt. The fire can barely combat the cold, but I'm not really focused on that right now. Taking off my clothes caused me a lot of discomfort. My whole left arm is trembling. I try to close my left hand, but I have to stop. These spikes have to come out.

I search through my bag to find everything I need. I take some pain medicine, grab the needle and thread that I'm probably going to need to stitch up these wounds, two cloths, rubbing alcohol, and some large bandages to put over the injuries. I take one of the fabrics and ball it up into a compact roll. I'm going to use it to keep myself from hurting anything in my mouth and muffle the noises I'm going to make.

I bite down on it. I don't really like its texture; it makes me think of a paper in my mouth, but it isn't as bad. I pull my necklace out from under my shirt and squeeze the keychain attached to it. I close my eyes and take a deep breath, imagining Dad encouraging me.