Espionage-24

Brooklyn: They keep their vehicles in the parking garage near the stadium. If we get there, we should be able to grab one. Maybe we can even get out without them thinking it's us. They may look at the car and believe we are one of them.

You: I doubt they're letting anyone out of here right now.

Marina: Do you think the car we brought is still good? Maybe if we could get to it, we'd be ok.

Brooklyn: I guess it's worth a check. It's probably still there, but the checkpoints will already be locked down again.

You step outside into the cold again. The sun is almost down, which is good. It'll make it easier to get around.

Clem: How far from the stadium are we?

Brooklyn: I don't know. Maybe a fifteen, twenty-minute walk if we didn't have to hide.

It's quiet where you are right now. They're not searching the area yet, but you're sure they will be later. Right now, they're probably developing a game plan, locking down exits, their vehicles, their weapons, anything that you could use against them or use to getaway. They want you dead, and you're sure they will go to whatever lengths they need to to make that happen. Their strategy involves your death... Not that it would affect it much if you were alive. They have too many people for it to matter that much. It'll only make it easier for them, you presume.

Marina: Dad?

You: Yeah?

You've fallen behind the group without realizing. You're scanning the rooftops, the windows, the streets around you, even the sewer grates.

Marina: Are you ok?

You: Yeah, just looking out.

Brooklyn and Clementine turn into an alleyway. You and Marina follow behind.

Marina: We're going to have to leave home. I know you tried really hard to make that place safe.

You: We can build a new place.

Marina: If we get back in time to get everyone out.

You: We will.

Marina: What if they're just trying to keep us here at this point?

You: I doubt it.

Marina: What if this was part of their plan all along?

You: I would say they were waiting for something like this, and that's why they got information to us that there were people not siding with them. And then, when we inevitably came to ask for help, they'd trap us and try to kill us.

Marina: Why do we have to fight? Walkers killed most of us, and then we started killing each other.

You: Survival means you have to kill, whether you like it or not. It sucks, but it's an ugly truth. Learned that at the age of nine when some guy tried to rob me.

Marina: I think you told me that story.

You: I might have. It wasn't long after I killed Eri and Grant.

Marina: I wish I could have met Eri.

You: I don't really remember her much. She wasn't old enough to really have her own personality yet, either. She was just my little sister. She was too innocent for this world in the beginning.

Marina: What do you think would have happened if Grant lived?

You: I don't know. I may not even have met Clementine. I wouldn't have stayed alone. We probably would have joined a group. If I didn't make my way to Ericson's because my path was different, Clementine would have died.