Marinus-6

Marina

The snowstorm has passed. It snowed for two days straight before it was finally over. The first day, it snowed harder than I had ever seen for hours, and after that, it was just flurrying. But the snow piled up around one and a half feet. Our door was practically frozen shut too. Dad had to put all his weigh on the door to get it open.

No one has been leaving the house. The snow is too high, making it hard to move around, and we don't know how much ice is on the ground. It isn't that bad though, we've been having a pretty good time.

I lean on the back of Dad's chair; it kicks back a little but sits back down almost instantly.

Dad: Careful! I cannot stress to you enough how bad that could be.

Me: Sorry.

Mom is at the end of the table, looking through some papers. Inventory maybe.

I peak over Dad's shoulder. He has his left arm open, and he's messing around with it.

Me: Whatcha doin?

Dad: Playing.

Me: Yeah, but I want to know what you're doing.

Dad: I have no clue. I'm just trying to figure out how this thing works still.

He's been trying to figure it out for a few months now. In case it ever breaks, he thought it would be nice to be able to fix it.

Dad: Brooklyn!

Brooklyn: What?!

Dad: Come here!

He closes his arm back and starts tightening some screws. Brooklyn walks into the kitchen with us.

Brooklyn: What?

Dad: Sit.

He points across the table at the chair opposite him. She pulls it out and sits down, crossing her arms and leaning it back on two legs. Once Dad has his arm fixed, he sets it on the table.

Dad: Arm wrestle me.

Brooklyn: That's not even fair.

Dad: I want to make sure I didn't break it.

Brooklyn: Fine.

She puts her hand in the grip of his robot arm. It makes some mechanical noises as he wraps his fingers around her hand.

Dad: Tell us when to go, Marina.

Me: Go.

He wins almost instantly.

Dad: Ha! You suck!

Brooklyn: Pfft, do it with your other arm now.

Dad: Still gonna win.

Brooklyn: You know what, let's make this interesting since you're so confident.

Dad: What do you have in mind?

Brooklyn: If I win, you take me to that one community with that great cook and pay for a meal.

Dad: You understand how much we have to trade for that, right?

Brooklyn: Yeah.

Dad: What do I get if I win?

Me: Make her do something awful.

Brooklyn: Good to see who's side you're on.

Me: Well, he's gonna win, we all know it.

Brooklyn: I don't know about that.