Decimation-Prologue

Marina

I fiddle with the key chain around my neck, sitting in the passenger seat of the car. The night sky is stunning. A complete contrast to my attitude right now. I probably have a look of "talk, and you die" on my face because no one has said a word for over an hour.

Aj: We're almost there, Marina.

Me: Good.

It comes into view a few minutes later. The tall tower at the center of the rundown town they're hiding in, sticking up above some trees. I've tracked them here. They're all that's left of these fuckers. Once I'm finished with them, It's finally over.

Aj: Be careful, ok.

I don't respond. I've got tunnel vision, I see the objective, and that's all I can focus on. Aj stops after we pass a few buildings. I hop out instantly.

Aj: Hey.

He gets out after me.

Aj: Where are you going?

I'm already leaving.

Me: I can handle it myself. Stay here and guard the car.

Aj: Then what was the point in us coming?

I turn around and throw my arms up to the side.

Me: To protect the car.

He can handle himself; I know that he would be a great asset in the fight. But I need to do this alone.

It's dark, which makes the air a little cooler. It's the middle of summer, so any cool air we can get is a blessing. I adjust the straps on my backpack, making them tighter, and grab my knife and pistol.

Empty... Empty, empty, empty. The town is FUCKING empty. Did they catch wind that I was coming and run? No, they've got too big of egos to just leave because I'm here. They think they're better than they really are.

Aj: Marina?

His voice comes over the radio in my pack; I roll my eyes and stop to fish it out. I drop my bag on the ground and start digging through it.

Aj: Marina?

It's wiggled its way to the bottom somehow.

Me: What?

Aj: Are you ok?

Me: You'll see me when I'm done.

Aj: Don't go doing something stupid because you're angry.

Me: I've done a lot of things because I'm angry. None of it was stupid.

Aj: I'm just trying to make sure you're not in over your head.

Me: I'm not. I can handle this.

Aj: You're not Y/N. Don't act like him.

I can practically hear the regret through the radio as soon as the words leave his mouth.

Me: You better have an apology waiting when I get back.

Aj: I didn't mean anything bad by that. It came off harsher than I meant it to.

Me: Then what did you mean?

Aj: He did a lot of stuff that almost got him killed.

Me: So what?

Aj: It cost him a lot... He wouldn't approve of this trip at all.

Me: Then what about all the other trips, huh? Why didn't you try and stop me then?