║SIX║

“GOOD AFTERNOON!” Clyde's girlfriend greeted as she opened the door to Neil's office. She had called Neil the previous day telling him that she would come to the police department for questioning.
“Oh, you're here… good. Please have your sit.” Neil motioned for her to sit down on the vacant chair opposite him.
“I’m sorry I came late,” she said.
“It’s no problem. Can you introduce yourself?” Neil said as he opened a book, ready to write.
“I am Lois Gregg, Clyde's girlfriend.”
“For how long have you known Clyde?”
“Four years.  We met at the university, he was my senior and that's when we began dating.” she smiled
“Tell me what you know about him?”
“He is a nice guy, very smart and funny, you know but he can get annoying at times.” she rolled her eyes.
“Have you two ever argued?”
“Yes, twice.”
“So, tell me what you know about the relationship between James and Clyde?”
“Well, James and Clyde were very good friends, they were almost inseparable but sometimes Clyde gets jealous of him because their boss normally prefers James's written article to his. Anytime we hang out, he would complain bitterly about how his boss preferred James to him. But, he didn't let James know he was jealous of him.”
“Have they ever quarreled?”
“I don't know. Though I knew he was glad James resigned and moved to London.”
“Do you think Clyde has something to do with the murder?” Neil leaned in, his hands resting on the table as he stared at Lois.
Lois sighed, licking her dry lips before answering, “um… I don't know…  he is capable because he has a temper. When he is angry he finds it hard to control it that he can destroy anything within his reach and he has a gun.”
“Since when did he have the gun?”
“Three years ago.”
“Hmm” Neil tapped his lips thoughtfully with his pen. “Do you mind taking a polygraph test?” he asked her.
“I don't mind.”  Neil quickly phoned the polygrapher, telling him to come immediately. Lois took the polygraph test and passed.
     Neil now had a suspect added to his suspect list, he will call Clyde to come over for questioning.

☬                  ☬                 ☬ 

    Nicole felt anxious as she fought the hefty man with a big sword in his hand. The battle was so tense. She was getting tired but didn't want to surrender to the mean hefty looking man.
“You don't want to surrender, huh?” the hefty man said laughing at her as they fought, their swords clashing with each other. Her clothes were soaked with sweat.
“Do you need help?!” she heard a man tell, he was almost close to her.
“I don't need your help!” she yelled back irritated. She looked sideways at the man, he was way huger than the man she was fighting with. He was endowed with all the fighting equipment.
“I want to help you!” he said concern written on his face.
“I don't need your help!”
“You can't fight this battle alone.”
“I can” she tried focusing her attention on the man she was fighting. The hefty man overpowered her throwing her only weapon of defense to the ground– her sword.
“Look at what you've caused!” she yelled, glaring at the man who had offered to help her.
“If you need me, I'll always be here!” he said.
    The sharp edge of the sword pierced through her stomach, making her shriek in pain. She stared at the man as he laughed at her, she held her stomach as her leg began to grow weak. She fell to the ground with a loud thud.
      Sweating profusely, Nicole jerked awake. She wiped her face with her palm as she sighed.

     It was just a nightmare.

She checked the table clock on her nightstand, it was just 4:35 am. She removed her blanket as she got out of bed, there was no need for her to sleep again since she would be leaving for work by 6:30 am. She stretched her body and then plodded to the bathroom to take a warm shower.

          ☬        ☬        ☬ 

“Good morning,” Neil greeted her as she arrived at work. “How are you?”
“Okay, good morning.” she walked in, signing the staff attendance register before going to the office.
“You don't look okay. You look stressed out.” Neil said following behind.
Unlocking the office door, she pushed it open and walked in. “Didn't get enough sleep.”
She sighed as she sat down.
“Uh–oh. Clyde came around.” Neil said as he sat down opposite her. “He took the polygraph test and passed. I asked him if he could permit us to search his house but he refused.”
“Why?”
“He gave no reason.”
“Then he is our second suspect.”