Chapter 02

⸻⸻⸻

Turn Over a New Leaf

⸻⸻⸻

I WALKED HAND in hand with Wesley as we took the short distance to our future home. Courtesy of my quick thinking skills, I was able to secure a house rather quickly upon arriving in Ohio. At least it meant that we wouldn't need to sleep on the streets tonight. With the little money I had saved up from all those tiring hours working at the factory back home, I was also able to pay this month's rent on time. The only downside? I had no clue what the house would look like. 

As my brother and I entered the street of our neighborhood, and then paused right in front of the actual home - I wished that it had stayed a mystery. 

The house stood on a slight rise just on the edge of the town. It stood on its own and looked over a broad spread of country farmland. Not a remarkable house by any means - it was about thirty-years-old, squattish, squarish, made of wood, and held proportion which more or less exactly failed to please. I let my eyes wander the roughness of the exterior and the straight curves. Despite its age, the house was surely made with love, that was for sure. 

I carefully unlocked the main door and we stepped inside. The interior was enough to prove that at least the landlord took good care of the property. Even though it had been empty for years.

"I want to see my room!" Wesley said, hurrying up the staircase.

This boy, I thought with a groan as I too ascended the stairs. He'd forgotten to leave his shoes at the door, and now there were muddy footprints trailing all across the wooden floor.

"Wes?" I called, peeking into what should have been his bedroom. Nobody was there.

"Wesley?" I repeated, glancing around the narrow halls in search for my younger brother. He was a scrawny boy, short for his age, but not difficult to recognize. Once again, I was met with disappointment. I called out to him a few more times, and each time I heard no response from his end. I frowned as I began to look around for him at a much quicker pace. 

Just as I was about to consider searching for him in the yard, a faint sobbing noise from the closet in my bedroom had averted my thoughts. Peeking in, it surprised me to see Wesley crouched down on the floor, a photograph in his hand. 

"It's too early for hide 'n seek, Wes." I regretted the words as soon as they had left my mouth. I took a closer look and noticed that he was crying, from the crimson red cheeks and quivering lips. Sighing, I took an uncomfortable crouched seat beside him, rubbing the top of his head. Only then did I notice just what he was holding; a photograph of our late parents. 

"I miss them, Faye." Each year rolled down his cheek faster than the one before. He sobbed some more, and I wrapped an arm around his shoulder as he cried against my neck. He mumbled something incoherent, but I was sure it was somewhere along the lines of, "I miss them so much."

"Me too, Wes," I said once he's calmed down a bit. He leaned out of the embrace and glanced at his hands awkwardly. "But you remember what I told you, right?"

He nodded emotionlessly. "That they're in a better place now?"

"A much better place," I added. He blew his nose into his shirt's sleeve and I playfully rolled my eyes at him. Standing up, I patted his shoulder to recapture his attention. "Come on, trouble maker."

"Where are we going?" Wesley questioned, looking up at me. 

"Right now, you are getting in the bath. It's been a long journey and you must be feeling gross."

He was quick to shake his head. "Baths are gross, Faye."

"Are not."

"Are too!"

"Are not!"

He thought about it for a moment. "Fine, but on one condition."

I raised an eyebrow. It surely didn't take long for the previous Wesley to return. "And what would that be?"

"We explore town right after."

At that, I couldn't help but laugh. Normally, a kid would be tired after such a long journey, I knew I was - but not him. Reaching out, I picked him up and together we made our way to the nearest - more like, only bathroom in the house. But for just us two, it seemed like just enough.