Chapter 38

⸻⸻⸻‌ ‌

Heart of a Saint, Life of a Sinner

⸻⸻⸻‌ ‌

ARVIN RUSSELL walked the deserted roads of southern Ohio terribly exhausted. Wesley was in his arms already fast asleep, unaware of whatever went down that day, which included the untimely death of his only sister.

Arvin had kept his promise to Faye. He did end up picking up Wesley from his summer camp, but it was only him that did. He was fortunate enough to find the young boy already asleep at the camp when he arrived there, and even more thankful that he didn't need to explain that he wasn't ever going to see his sister again.

For Wesley, the memories of his sister were enough.

That day, Arvin made himself another promise: he would care for this young boy for as long as he lived, and that he wasn't ever going to let him go. They both lost somebody dear to them that day, but they weren't going to lose each other.

A few miles down the road, the pair were picked up by a bohemian, and Arvin was silently thankful that he could sit down to rest after walking limply for almost three-hours straight. He sat in the passenger seat with Wesley snoring softly against his chest with a small Batman action figure nestled in his palm. 

The tears in Arvin's eyes were long gone by then, but his eyes were still bloodshot from both fatigue and emotion. As both of them rode quietly in the stranger's car, and although he was so tired, Arvin tried very hard to not fall asleep. He needed to protect himself and the little boy in his arms. He sought a responsibility when he promised Faye that he would never let go of Wesley.

Unwillingly, the rest of his life flashed before his very eyes: a future as a loving husband, a father to Wesley, or a rugged soldier in the Vietnam War . . .

Arvin was sure that despite everything that went down, his future would either be of peace or violence.

THE END

---

Author's Note:

And, completed! I finished this book in less than 3 months and I'm proud of how far I've come since I first started writing. Did you guys like it? Did it get boring at times, 'cuz I think it did :P

BTW, I have absolutely no regrets killing off Faye in the previous chapter . . . don't come at me! It just felt like I was constantly making happy endings, and wanted a major plot twist . . . did it work?

This has to be my favourite chapter, mainly because it leads to something deeper . . . was he a criminal at the end, or just living the life he was always meant to? Somethings to think about, huh?

Either way, I'm happy that it's done because I can take a small break from writing, focusing more on school and my one other incomplete story on Wattpad.

Until next time, my dear readers! 

flowingbloom xx