Chapter 16

⸻⸻⸻

Fare Thee Well

⸻⸻⸻

JUST LIKE THAT, the unlikely meeting between Lenora and I had turned into what I felt was a wonderful friendship. Contrary to my initial belief, Lenora did end up showing up every Wednesday of the week to pick up orchids from the flower shop. Though I refused to believe her at first, the week after we first met, it surprised me the most when Lenora showed up at exactly 1:34 PM. I didn't have a bouquet prepared for her at first, but I was quick to have one ready - a blue one at the time. Her regular visits had come to a point that even my manager had asked me once what exactly my 'trick' was. If that wasn't enough evidence to prove that not many people came to the shop, then I didn't know what was.

One Wednesday afternoon wasn't any different. Instead of sharing a few minute conversations with Lenora before she'd ultimately head home for the day, however, I'd filed in to take my lunch break a bit earlier than usual, so the two of us went out for a little stroll around the park.

Wesley wasn't around a lot of the time these days either, as he'd joined a summer youth camp, courtesy of Stanley. Wesley would leave in the mornings and come home (being picked up by me) in the evenings. Pretty convenient if I did say so myself.

So, there Lenora and I sat on a bench just across from a playground - chatting on random topics.

"Do you attend Church?" Lenora asked abruptly, catching me a little off guard. She must've noticed my surprised expression as she was quick to add, "I mean, are 'ya religious?"

"Not really . . ." I admitted quietly. "I don't think I've been to a Church in years." Ever since what happened to my parents anyway.

Tapping her chin with her index finger, Lenora looked at me inquisitively. I really hoped that she wouldn't criticize me for something as small as that, or she had another thing coming.

"Uh, why?" I added slowly, relief filled me as she'd thankfully given me her usual smile.

"My family - we attend a church not too far from here on Sundays," she explained. "If you're interested, why not come with us this weekend? You can bring Wesley along too."

It wasn't the most horrible idea in the world - anything but. It could have been a way for me to experience religious values all over again. The kind that I last shared when it wasn't just me and my brother. Plus, it'd possibly give Wesley a different perspective as well. So, not knowing of the potential consequences . . . I nodded, causing Lenora to smile.

"Great, then it's settled. We'll meet at the Church on Sunday. Have a pen and paper? I'll write down the address."