Chapter 03

⸻⸻⸻

Sail Close to the Wind

⸻⸻⸻

MARKET STALLS LINED the route, and I paused for a moment to survey the flamboyant scene, and observe the busy crowd. Lovers strolled hand in hand, casually browsing the area, whilst homemakers hustled and bustled, huggled over the price of the exotic fruits, vegetables, and other imported goods. I didn't know what I was getting Wesley and myself into when I first stepped out of our new house with a plan to browse the streets - but it definitely wasn't this.

With the little money that I had bought on our trip outside, I was able to buy Wesley a soccer ball - that too after he practically begged and pleaded to me about it. Plus, nobody could resist the puppy dog eyes he sent me. Now, however, as I glanced around the unfamiliar town, I had realized one thing for sure; if I didn't find a job soon, I'd be all out of money by the end of the month. 

A calling of my name shook me out of my worrisome thoughts, and I looked down to see Wesley, but who I didn't recognize was the slightly taller boy standing beside him. 

"Wes. . ." I trailed off, my eyes set on the unfamiliar boy. "Who's this?"

Wesley grinned widely as he patted the other boys back in appreciation. "This is Stanley. I met him down the street."

Wait a minute, I didn't even notice when he had walked off in the first place. 

"Stanley," I muttered under my breath. I mustered out a decently polite smile and raised out my hand to the said boy. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Faye, Wesley's older sister."

"It's nice to meet you, miss," he said, shaking my hand and then letting go a second later. "I heard from Wesley that you just moved here this morning."

"We did," I confirmed, smiling. "Do you live around here too?"

"Right down the block, actually -"

"Hello!" Wesley interrupted the very boring conversation which was taking place. Stanley and I both glanced at him in question. "Stan and I wanted to go to the park." He pointed at a playground a few blocks away from us. "It's right there. Can I go?" 

"Yeah," I said, nodding. "Go ahead, but don't go getting lost. I'll be in the flower shop if you need anything."

Without even giving a response, both of the boys sprinted off in the direction of the playground - leaving me alone to myself. Correct that, thankfully giving me some alone time. With that, I began to walk the short distance the nearby flower shop which was just around the corner. When I passed the shop earlier, I swear I saw a now hiring sign on the main entrance. 

Unfortunately for me, however, my few moments of peace was short lived, as when I had reached the shop, there was barely anybody around. I narrowed my eyes in slight annoyance when an alarming cat-call from behind me was heard. The worst part, I was beginning to hear footsteps approaching. 

And I was all alone.