Chapter 11

⸻⸻⸻

Disillusionment of Autumn

⸻⸻⸻

FOLLOWING DINNER, WESLEY had practically dragged Arvin over to the sitting room, chanting something about his action figures and race cars. It didn't look like it bothered the guy, which I was sort of surprised about.

While the two boys went over to their own activities, I took the time to clear up all the dishes and take them over to the kitchen sink for washing. As I washed the dishes in relative silence, I heard the familiar laughter of my younger brother in the other room, causing me to smile slightly.

Almost a half-hour later, I had finished all the chores in the kitchen, and too made my way over to the sitting room where Wesley was dozed off on the couch, while Arvin had on a small smile on his face.

He spoke, likely to no one in particular, "He's a good kid."

"You haven't seen the troublemaker side of him yet," I commented, and it was only then when Arvin noticed my presence. He'd told me earlier today that he was planning on leaving right after dinner, but seeing as he was still here, I assumed that it was my insistent little brother who had convinced Arvin to change his plans.

So now, he was sitting on the floor across from the couch, fiddling with his baseball cap.

Arvin glanced up at me, nodding firmly once before noticing that I had something in my hands; a first-aid kit. Taking a seat in front of him, he grumbled lowly, having understood my intentions.

Mindful of the sleeping boy behind him, he cautiously asked, "What's this for?"

"If you haven't already looked in a mirror today, I suggest you do so," I said. "You have bruises all over your face, Arvin."

"Doesn't matter," he muttered. "I'm used to it."

"Alright, so if you are used to getting beat up, then get used to having the wounds taken care of as well."

He looked up suddenly. "What makes 'ya think that I got beat up?"

"I was studying medicine before moving here. . ." I admitted quietly. Opening up the kit's lid, I searched through the small box for some cotton pads and rubbing alcohol. "So I'd like to think I know a thing or two about wounds."

"Let me take care of it," he offered, reaching out his hands only to pause when I shook my head.

"Have you done this before? And I mean, really?" That was apparently enough to quiet him down, at least for now.

I poured some of the alcohol on a cotton pad and leaned in a bit, studying Arvin's wounds for a second before dabbing at them. Arvin seethed as the cold liquid touched his skin, but I bet that it wasn't because he couldn't handle it. He resorted to closing his eyes momentarily, and I shamelessly checked him out while he wasn't looking. He was kind of cute, wasn't he?

He abruptly opened his eyes again, and I quickly averted my gaze, feeling my cheeks redden at the embarrassment of getting caught red-handed. Just that small action and Arvin's infrequent flirtatious behaviour came back. "Like what 'ya see?"

I rolled my eyes, quickly thinking of some sort of believable excuse. "Please. I'm just trying to see where else you're hurt."

Eventually, I had finished cleaning Arvin's wounds to the best of my ability. Packing away all of the supplies, I left the box beside me as I continued to sit.

"If you don't mind me asking . . ." I started after a moment. "What caused the whole -" I gestured to his face where his wounds were clearing up slightly.

"I do mind," Arvin retorted, and in fear of possibly upsetting him, I quickly apologized, not questioning him further about the topic.

At my sudden silence, he quietly explained, "Some bastards . . . they were botherin' my sister at school, so I taught them a lesson."

I nodded understandingly. I didn't know that Arvin had a sister - a family with him. I'd always assumed that the man slept in his truck every night, foraging for food and other supplies in the day like a hermit. I was clearly wrong; and yet I felt a sudden sense of relief after his confession . . . almost as if I was happy that he was opening up to me.

Glancing over at him, I noticed the way he was staring down at his hands deep in thought - and I told myself that I'd leave the subject at that. He'd already seemed uncomfortable sharing such detail, so I didn't want to unnecessarily push him to tell me anything.

That was unless he chose to himself.