Chapter 29

⸻⸻⸻

Unfathomable Fate

⸻⸻⸻

ARVIN REMAINED SILENT throughout the rest of our morning. Don't even ask me how I somehow convinced the man to at least eat something before going on a (hopefully not) murderous rampage. It was so early that the sun was just about rising when I'd finally made some breakfast and served it to both of the boys. Wesley was, unsurprisingly, not even in the zone when he'd come down for breakfast this morning. Just sitting and eating quietly before dismissing himself to change for another day at his summer camp.

"Arvin," I asked as I spooned another chunk of cereal. "How are, um, Emma and Earskell doing?" I realized that I hadn't asked about them once in the time that Arvin had been here.

"They're ok, I suppose," Arvin said simply, his gaze set on his plate of food. "Not the same though."

"It's not unusual," I added quickly. "They've just lost their daughter, so I understand -"

"I don't want to talk about it," he interrupted, his expression emotionless. Though he tried so hard to keep up a stern look, I could tell that he may have been hiding something a lot deeper behind those eyes.

"Right, of course. Sorry."

"Don't apologize. I'm just goin' through a lot right now . . ."

We didn't talk for the rest of breakfast, the distant silence only was broken when Wesley came rushing down the stairs, his camper's backpack hung over his shoulders and his boy scout uniform worn. His cheeky grin was enough to have me forgetting the awkwardness from just moments ago, Wesley telling me all about what the team had planned today - since it was a sleepover today anyway. Also, considering the fact that it was his last day at the camp today (Summer was coming to a close end), I figured that the volunteers thought a longer day would be a good way to end the season.

As I chatted away with my younger brother, Arvin casually put in that he would be fine with dropping Wesley off to the camp today.

"Oh, well that makes things a whole lot easier," I said, a weak laugh coming from me. My brother grinned from ear to ear as Arvin smiled at him warmly. He threw Wesley the car key, telling the boy to wait for him in the car. Not a second later and it was, once again, only Arvin and I left in the house.

"Thanks, Arvin," I said, smiling (albeit a bit weaker than usual).

He looked at me hesitantly, almost as if he was contemplating whether to do what he wanted next, but he came a little closer and wrapped his arms around me. We stood like that for a fraction longer, him just embracing me almost as if it were the last time we'd ever see each other. I didn't let my mind drag too much on that last thought.

"Thank you," he mumbled against my ear and I bit my lips. Leaning away, he kissed me softly on the lips, short like a peck. "I gotta go now, but . . ."

"But?" I asked, my cheeks still burning from that kiss. God, we'd done a whole lot more than just kiss at this point, but he still seemed to have that effect on me.

"Nothing," he said, separating from me and opening up the door again. He was only halfway through when he said something else, "And Faye? I'll pick the troublemaker up t'night when he's done at camp. Don't worry."

I chuckled at his use of my nickname for Wesley before nodding thankfully and letting Arvin leave. Watching out the window as his car sped away, I found myself wondering how exactly the events of a few hours from now would play out.