Chapter 31

⸻⸻⸻

Corrupted by the Void

⸻⸻⸻

AFTER WHAT FELT like hours of constantly running, Faye finally arrived at the Church, her breaths heavy as she struggled to calm herself down. She quietly made her way inside, careful not to make any suspicious noise as she turned the corner. She remained out of the door, only peeking in to see Arvin and the preacher in a heated argument with each other.

"--- She was delusional. She was crazy! You see?"

"No . . . She was just lonely," Arvin said sombrely.

"That's for me to -"

"I saw the way you treated Lenora, the same way you preyed on my Faye!"

"Ah . . . So she's your little toy, ain't she?" Preston smirked, and Arvin contemplated firing the gun right then and there.

"She ain't my toy, you hear me? And you ain't ever get to mention her in front of me again, understood?"

"Hell, boy! What kinda spell has the lass got you under? She'd been just like the rest of 'em -!"

When Preston knew that the other boy wasn't looking, he sneakily picked up a Bible from the table behind him and harshly threw it at him, but just then - Arvin pulled the trigger of his gun. The sudden noise shook Faye to the core as she opened the door a little wider, but still, nobody had heard her come in.

The sight before her nearly had her gasping as she saw Preston laying on the ground, his hands up in surrender and chanting a prayer, before Arvin fired off two more shots, killing the preacher immediately.

Arvin's jaw clenched as he stared down at the man's lifeless body, feeling somewhat remorseful. "The man's gotta deserve it."

"A-Arvin . . ." Faye quietly said, her voice shaky as he quickly turned around, the gun pointed at her next. She trembled just before Arvin realized who it was and put the gun away again.

"Faye!" He ran up to her, embracing her in a hug. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry that 'ya had to witness that . . ."

Faye quickly pulled away from him and rubbed her tears away. Her eyes briefly shifted to the body that was lying cold on the floor and grimaced. "I didn't think you'd do something like this."

"Bastard deserved it," he said with a steely expression.

She remained silent as Arvin rubbed his sweaty hands against his pants. He cleared his throat and looked at his lover again. "You gotta get outta here."

Her eyes shot up. "What, No!"

"Do you see that man? He's fuckin' dead!" he shouted, causing her to flinch. "You better leave before -"

"Before what? I thought you said we'd be doin' this together, Arvin!"

Arvin's temper rose as he stepped forward quickly and clasped a hand to Faye's throat, not enough to harm her, but enough to let her know that this was her final warning.

"Ya' see me? I'm a god-forsaken MONSTER! Leave before this gun takes your life too!"

"Then let it!" she growled, eyes blurry with tears. "As far as I'm concerned, Arvin, I make my own decisions!"

He gulped and removed his hand from her neck. Right about then, Faye found herself wondering what the Hell would've gone down had she not made it here on time, or what the heck she'd be doing if Arvin had left without her. And then, when she glanced down at his hands, she knew the answer when he lent out his hand for her to take.

And she took it without a single thought.