Pilar

Carmen took a last check in the hallway mirror, yes she looked good, she thought to herself. For a  just turned 77 year old lady she was still in very good shape.

She had managed to stay on her 58 kilos in weight, her hair was cut in a fashionable asymmetric short style, a deep blond in colour, she was toned and stood straight, her clothes were modern, today she had chosen a black and white striped tight fitting cotton dress, most people thought she was around 55 or 60 years old at the most. She had no facial wrinkles except for a few laughter lines around her eyes. Although she wore makeup it was discreet, just a little eye pencil and light lip colour.

Yes, she had to admit to being quite happy with her appearance.

She picked up her bag and headed out of the apartment, locking the door behind her. She pressed the lift button but didn't have to wait long for the lift to arrive, the block was small with only seven floors and 5 apartments per floor.

Carmen hurried down to the square, she had taken a little longer than expected in getting ready and Pilar was already outside the town hall waiting for her.

'Hi, there,' Pilar called out as Carmen approached her, 'wondered if you were coming?' she joked.

'Hi Pilar,' Answered Carmen walking up the steps to meet her, 'sorry I took so long, shall we go in and get the tickets first and then have a drink?'

'Sounds good to me'

They walked up to the counter, Pilar smiled to the man behind the desk, 'Morning, where can we get information and tickets for the Malaga trip tomorrow?' she asked.

'I can help you there' he answered with a big smile, 'The trip starts tomorrow morning at 8 am the bus will leave from here, we drive down to malaga center, should take about an hour give or take, then we will be taken to see the cathedral. after the cathedral we will stop to have some coffee, then on to see the Picasso museum.  After the museum we will all be taken to 'la calle de la hambre' where as I am sure you know, is packed full of beautiful little restaurants where we can all eat. After lunch you will be able to wonder around the wonderful little streets or go shopping.We will leave Malaga around 7 pm. So it will be a very full day but i am sure it will be a very enjoyable day' After his rather long speech he beamed at the ladies. 'Can I sell you two tickets?'

Carmen and Pilar laughed, 'yes please, it sounds great, can hardly wait' Carmen replied. They paid and wondered outside clutching their tickets.

'Well he sounded enthusiastic!' laughed Carmen, 'I hope this is all worth it'

They made their way to the little bar next to the town hall and sat down at a shaded table over looking the square.

The waiter came up immediately, 'what can I get you two charming ladies' 

'A glass of Rioja for me' answered Carmen

'Same here, and can we have a little tapa of olives and cheese' added Pilar

'I have some lovely manchego if you like' offered the waiter

'yes that would be perfect' accepted Pilar.

When the waiter left Pilar turned to Carmen, 'And how do you really feel this morning' she asked.

Carmen smiled and sighed. 'Actually I woke up in good spirits, then started reminiscing and feeling a little sorry for myself but now I feel absolutely fine. Actually better than fine, I feel great!'

'Good for you, remember, a day at a time, there's no need to rush into anything, but you really mustn't feel sorry for yourself.  You must be positive and believe that your decision was the correct one. Life goes on and you'll be fine'.

The waiter came out placed the drinks down in front of them and placed two small plates in the middle, one with some delicious manchego cheese and the other with a variety of large, cracked and flavoured olives.

'Well my next step for today is going to be - to enjoy this lovely wine and tapas and not think about anyone or anything'

'Cheers to that' replied Pilar, and lifted her glass, 'cheers'

'cheers.'