Chapter 3 : The Triwizard Tournament

I was sitting at the Slytherin table, next to a boy who had introduced himself as Blaize Zabini and facing Pansy Parkinson and a boy named Goyle. 

Pansy was talking about her summer away with her rich parents and all the rich things they did and all the rich things she bought... I was a bit annoyed by her attitude and her manners (she had just introduced herself quickly before continuing with her conversation) but I didn't really care. 

After at least half an hour of Pansy talking about herself, Blaize turned to me and started asking questions. 

- "Hey Y/N." I faced him "How come you're new ?" he inquired. 

I was glad someone was being nice with me, considering that I was trying to avoid the death glares the blonde boy was giving me from across the table. Thank Merlin he was not facing me, but he was right next to Goyle, which meant he was in my visual range.  

- "I only recently learned I was a wizard." I started to explain "So I grew up in a family of muggles, and-" I was saying when the blonde boy interrupted me. 

- "I seriously can't believe a muggle-born was sorted into Slytherin." he declared loudly "It's a disgrace to the house. Wait until my father hears about this." 

He had been so obnoxious and so loud that I knew he was directly provoking me, although he hadn't spoken to me. Feeling the anger racing through my body I did not hesitate before replying. 

- "What's your problem ?" I asked, bitterly. 

- "You're my problem, you filthy little mudblood." he answered, looking disgusted by my whole being. 

Pancy, Goyle and an another boy I didn't know were now snickering and looking down at me. 

I knew that "mudblood" was a severe insult from what Dumbledore had told me about Salazar Slytherin (I really had the best ancestor ever). But I wasn't going to let that intimidate me. No, I wasn't going to let that blonde boy ruin my year at Hogwarts. And he was about to get 'roasted'...

- "Shut your mouth." I ordered.

- "Watch your fucking tone, you don't know what I can do to you." he argued. 

- "Stop making a fool of yourself, you're not intimidating." I mocked him. 

- "Fuck off, you muddyblood." he furiously replied. 

- "Eat. My. Dick." I slowly enunciated, looking at him directly in the eyes, showing him what I was made of. 

The Slytherin students started applauding me, while a big "ooooooooohhh" rose from our table, making the other houses turn their head, curious to see what had happened to produce such a reaction. 

The boy, Pansy and his two other friends weren't applauding though, but Blaize looked at me, laughing. 

- "Well done Y/N" Blaise said, looking almost impressed. I shrugged, as if it meant nothing for me (while I was internally beaming). 

Now, I was never popular at my old school in the muggle world, but I knew I had something that those Slytherin didn't have : some muggle references. 

Before the boy could respond, Dumbledore began to speak. 

- "Now that we are fed and watered, I must ask once more for your attention while I give out a few notices." he began "It is my painful duty to inform you that the inter-house Quidditch Cup will not take place this year," Dumbledore continued, ignoring the complaints coming from every table 

"This is due to an event that will be starting in October and continuing though out the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts-" 

A loud bang came from the front doors and soon a man stood in doorway. He made his way up to the front. Everyone could see as he walked up the stage that his face was scarred and he had a glass-eye. Dumbledore nodded and gestured the man to an empty seat on his right-hand side.

- "May I introduce our new Defence against the Dark Arts Teacher," said Dumbledore brightly, into the silence, "Professor Moody." the students shyly clapped for their new intimidating professor. 

- "As I was saying," Dumbledore said smiling at the sea of students before him, "we are to have the honor of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event which has not been held for over a century. It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year,"

- "You're joking !" a voice rose from the Gryffindor table. 

- "Some of you will not know what this tournament involves," the headmaster continued "so I hope those who do know will forgive me for giving a short explanation, and allow their attention to wander freely. The Triwizard Tournament was first established some seven hundred years ago, as a friendly competition between the three largest European schools of wizardry – Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang. A champion was selected to represent each school, and the three champions competed in three magical tasks. The schools took it in turns to host the Tournament once every five years and it was generally agreed to be the a most excellent way of establishing ties between young witch's and wizards of different nationalities – until, that is, the death toll mounted so high that the Tournament was discontinued." he narrated. 

- "The Heads of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang have already arrived, and on Halloween we will have the Champion Selections. An impartial judge will decide which students, are most worthy to compete for the Triwizard Cup, the glory of their school and a thousand galleon personal prize money."

"Eager though I know all of you will be able to bring the Triwizard Cup to Hogwarts," he said, "the heads of the participating schools, along with the Ministry of Magic, have agreed to impose an agreed restriction on contenders this year. Only students who are of age – that is to say, seventeen years or older – will be allowed to put forward their names for consideration. This" – Dumbledore raised his voice slightly for several people had made noises of outrage at these words – "is a measure we feel is necessary, given that..." 

Dumbledore continued his speech, but I stopped listening, wondering who would be insane enough to participate. 

I was still thinking about the dangers of this Tournament, when Professor Snape gently tapped my shoulder, making me realise Dumbledore had finished speaking and everyone had returned to their conversations. 

- "I assume Miss... Chase" Snape started, hesitantly pronouncing my name and making me shiver, "that, since you are new to Hogwarts you are not familiar with the castle yet." he stated, taking a pause between sentences "Correct ?" he finally asked. 

- "That is right professor" I answered. 

- "Well maybe one of your fellow classmates could give you a tour." he suggested. 

- "That's a good idea, yes." I replied, still a bit scared by his intense glare. 

- "I could show her around" said Blaize, smiling. 

- "Humm... I was thinking someone like Mister... Malfoy could do the honours." he declared, now looking at the blonde boy. 

- "But Sir-" he tried to object. 

- "Thank you Draco" he replied, ignoring his protest "Now if you could all go to your common room, please..." this time addressing the whole table. 

Professor Snape chilled my bones, he had a way of looking at me that instantly made me uncomfortable, and the way his voice lingered on words simply made me want to disappear. 

The Slytherins left the table, leaving me behind so I could visit the castle with... Draco Malfoy. 

Fuck.